Menu

Question about K

Osaubi

My dd4 is very bored. I have her working on some school stuff, but I can't seem to find the right fit for her. She also refuses to use any books that her brother used or is using. :glare: Trying to combine them is a nightmare.

I found a phonics and math program that she seems to like, but that is about it. She loves workbooks, but also likes hands on crafty stuff. Most lapbooks I have found are mostly cutting and pasting not much acutal learning. If I could find a decent lapbook/learning for her age that would be great!

I am not sure what to add. I think she might like the Moving Beyond the Page stuff, but from the reviews I have seen here I am not sure that is a great fit. Has anyone tweaked this program to their liking?

We are currently using Singapore (she will not do RS b/c of brother)

Reading Lesson (no OPGTR b/c of brother)

History with brother (she is iffy on this)

Science with co-op but it is not enough for her

HWOT orange (only thing she will do that her brother has done)

ETC 1

Gifted and Talented Atlas book for geography but at 10 pages a day we will be done soon

We are also doing some Tin Man Press stuff. She will do this with her brother and loves it!

Any ideas or suggestions would be great!

We used MBTP 5-7 Environment Concept. I didn't care for it.

She may be interested in Sonlight Science K -

Sonlight Science K has either a 4 or 5 day a week program for lesson plans. We are using the 4 day a week and we do 3-4 lessons a week. It's a spiral program and SL doesn't stress mastery, just an introduction to several topics. Science K is called "Biology, Botany and Physics".

It uses books, activity sheets, a DVD and experiments. We completed Week 3 the other day and here's what the week looked like:

+++++++++

Day 1 - Reading pages 8-11 from a weather book and doing questions #1-4 on the activity sheets.

Day 2 - Reading pages 12-15 in the weather book and doing questions #5-7 on the activity sheets. There is an optional "Do Together" activity - making a tornado in a bottle (which we did).

Day 3 - Reading pages 16-19 in the weather books and doing questions #8-9 on the activity sheets. There is an optional "Do Together" activity called Disaster Relief (we did not do this).

Day 4 - Watching clips 12-13 from the DVD (clip 12 was about 1:04 mins and clip 13 was about 4 mins). Then we read and did the science experiments in the Science Activities book - we made a weather vane. There is also an optional "Do Together" activity - make a windsock (we didn't do).

+++++++++

The activity sheets are cut and paste, circling an answer, matching, writing in stuff (I do the writing). They are black and white so my dd colors the pictures too.

The topics do move quickly but it's easy to stop and go deeper if you want. I also added my own activities while going through the lessons - like acting out the water cycle was my idea, making hailstones was my idea and we pasted cotton balls on construction paper as the various clouds - my idea. In the list above of the week's lessons, I didn't include any extras we did with my ideas, I kept it strictly to what was in the lesson plans.

We will start Week 4 on Thursday. I don't stick to doing all of "week 3" lessons in one week, if we have to run into the next week then it's fine. It took us 3.5 weeks to do the 3 weeks of lessons (this is because my plan was to do two lessons per week and have it take two weeks to do one week of SL lessons but my dd wanted more!!orngbiggrin.gif)

Sonlight also has Science P4/5 but that doesn't come with a supply kit (unless they changed it). That is why I choose K, I wanted everything! I didn't want to have to plan or search for activities.

I absolutely love it and it completely suits every need that I was looking for!

ETA: Check my blog - I blog about SL Science with pictures!

For science, BFSU is great for young, gifted kids. It addresses very advanced concepts but has activities that are right on for the age group.

Kumon books are great for that age.

For enrichment, you could try a critical thinking book. We are using Critical Thinking: Reading, Thinking and Reasoning Skills (Steck-Vaughn), which my dd5 really loves. But you could also check out the Critical Thinking Company. Homeschool Buyer's Coop has a deal going right now.

Tracy

thanks for the replies. I think I am going to skip Moving for now. I may purchase it used if I can get a good price.

I was hoping to find something easy and secular for her. I use teacher intensive products with her brother, and with working full time I don't think I can pull something out my hat to teach her each week.

I was hoping to find something easy and secular for her. I use teacher intensive products with her brother, and with working full time I don't think I can pull something out my hat to teach her each week.

Sonlight Science K is very easy to make secular and it's got everything planned for you - which is why I like it!!