Menu

Art of Problem Solving online classes

Does anyone have any experience with the Art of Problem Solving online classes? I am considering the Algebra I class for my son who is a slightly above-average math student. Any opinions?

I can't speak from experience, but since no one else has answered yet I'll give it a shot. :) We're signing up for two classes next fall - Counting & Probability, and Number Theory. I have a friend whose DS has done Counting & Probability and enjoyed it. So from her advice and everything else I've read....

The classes follow the books pretty closely, so if you have the book you'll know about what's covered. I think Algebra is now done in two classes, so Algebra 1 is the first half (or so - I think the exact chapters are listed on the website).

The pace is fast, both in how they progress through the book and in the classes themselves. They're "real-time" with a chat-room type of interface... I think you can use LaTex for equation formatting, but it's not required. If you're on their email list you'll get announcements of upcoming "Math Jams" which are free one-shot classes that dip into the material for one or more of their full classes just enough that you can get the idea of how it might go. DS did a Math Jam on C&P and Number Theory last month and really liked the format.

The major benefit of doing the class instead of just following the book on your own is that they have problem sets (challenge sets? can't remember the name now) every few weeks or so, where the kids need to write out well-explained answers to challenging questions and then mail or fax them in for comments. My friend was really impressed with the requirements there, and I really like the idea of getting those comments back.

The time expectation seems to be about 5-8 hours per week including the class time -- that includes reading the text, answering the questions in the text on your own, attending the online class, and then doing the problems they assign. From what I've heard it can be much shorter than that, although I expect there's a fair bit of variation. We're taking a chance and signing up for both classes simultaneously... DS has some background in both already and is generally quick at math, so I'm hoping that it's a good chance we can keep it under 90 minutes a day for both together, plus class time.

My son has taken a few AoPS online classes, including Algebra 1.

Just to elaborate a bit more on what Erica said, the classes do move quickly, so you'll want to be sure your child is prepared for class. Make sure he does the problems in the book as well as the weekly posted problems.

Every three weeks the student submits a Challenge Set (posted online) which takes the place of a test. Students are expected to write out solutions in full and then fax, e-mail, or snail mail them back to their instructor.

The instructors are fantastic and really know their math. **That, IMO, is one of the best reasons to sign up online!** Your son may contact them throughout the week if he has any questions. However, Richard Rusczyk has mentioned that it's not necessary to take the online classes; doing the problems in the book would be sufficient.

Full transcripts are available online after each class if your child cannot attend for some reason or would like to review.

Also, if before the start of the third class you should decide to drop it, you can get a full refund.

We afterschool, and my son disliked having to sit at his desk for an hour and a half at night. He's the sort who has to move around a lot, which drives me crazy, but that's how he is! He will probably take a class this summer.

HTH! :)

PS Definitely sign up for AoPS's Alcumus and For The Win! if you haven't already.

Edited by MBM
suffering from brain fog!

Hi Nancy,

Just jumping on the bandwagon to sing the praises of AoPS. My daughter has taken two classes so far: Number Theory and Geometry. She is going to take Algebra I beginning in June. I am hoping that she will coast a little more than she has been able to in the geometry, because she has already worked through Jacob's Algebra. I just think the quality of teaching is so good in these classes that I would like her to take I with them before moving on to II.

Without a doubt, the money we have spent for AoPS online classes has been the best value of any homeschooling activity we have purchased, ever. The teachers are very responsive to questions, and encourage an atmosphere of exploration. They are truly interested in promoting math as a problem solving challenge as opposed to an exercise in memorizing algorhithms. The reviewable class transcripts and forums are excellent, too.

That being said, these classes have been time consuming: I would estimate that my daughter has spent about 2 hours a day on math since she started these classes, and sometimes more. She is very into math -- it's really becoming more and more of her "focus", so she doesn't mind. But if my kid wasn't into math, the pace of the classes might get discouraging.

Anyhow, HTH.

Good Luck!

Jen in NY

Also, if before the start of the third class you should decide to drop it, you can get a full refund.

This is a great offer by AoPS. If you are wavering, you could have your son do the first class or two and see how he likes it. One of my sons *LOVES* AoPS, and the other doesn't. I've heard several times that their textbooks are pitched at the top 3%, maybe top 5% of math students ... if a student is outside that range by a bit, he will have to work somewhat harder than the other kids. If a student is far outside that (tiny!) group, he may become discouraged.

PS Definitely sign up for AoPS's Alcumus and For The Win! if you haven't already.

:iagree:My younger son can't get enough of Alcumus and FTW (For the Win). And they're both free!

~Laura

My kids have taken numerous AoPS courses -we love them! I'll second all the excellent advice you've already received in this thread, and agree with the poster who advised you to try one of their free Math Jam sessions. That will give you the opportunity to ask questions and get a flavor of what their classes are like. Here's a schedule - I see that the next sessions are scheduled for May 18 and May 26. If you want, you can also click on "transcripts" tab to view past Math Jam sessions.

~Kathy