Menu

Homeschooling High School Student with LD

We have been using some outside classes and co-ops to do some classes. My son has some learning challenges and will be 9th grade next year. When I read the descriptions on these classes (for example History) it will say to let the the teacher know if it will be for high school credit and more will be expected and assigned like research reports.

What if your child can't handle more? Does that mean they wouldn't get high school credit for taking the class?

Have any of you experienced this? I'm not sure how to count high school with a special needs kid?

Edited by Evergreen State Sue
typos!

Perhaps you can talk with the teachers to see what extra work would be required and if there is an acceptable alternative for your ds. For instance, my now graduated son took some classes through a charter school where he was encouraged to make movies for final projects, act out characters for class assignments or create a radio show. He loved making movies, so it was a natural fit for him. Other students might keep a journal, or create a portfolio, or a poster, or costumes or some other means of showcasing their research and conclusions.

You also might see if some of the books that are to be read are available in audio format, or if there are alternative titles that aren't as dense for your ds to read, if that is one of your concerns. You should also see if the teacher will have lecture notes available for your ds or other helpful extra materials, and if there are exams, if your ds can have extra time or a quieter space. Community Colleges and most universities offer these sorts of accomodations for special need students. One of the things you can do to help your ds get ready for the transition to college is to help him figure out what kind of help he needs to be able to do the required work.

You should also be working on basic high school and college skills -- note taking, writing, organization, studying. Perhaps a co-op is a good place to work this through as he can get a sense of what extra work feels like and how to best cope in a class that, in a sense, doesn't matter. I am not disparaging co-ops, I just mean that a co-op isn't going to be submitting grades to prospective colleges, so if your son gets a bad grade but you know he really worked hard at it and improved over the semester, you get to choose how it appears on his transcript.

But, yes, a course that is being offered to both middle school and high school students *should* require more of the high schooler. The high school should be doing a final project, extra reading, or perhaps more short papers. Your ds may not be ready for all of it, but with some helpful teachers, you can be working towards that goal.

Thank you for your thoughtful response, and good suggestions, Jennifer. One comment: He was in an excellent study skills class since September, but I had to pull him out because he just wasn't able to keep up with the work or apply the head knowledge he was using.

So when I prepare a transcript and give my ds a grade for a class/course, do I give it based on how well he did or improved based on his learning challenges? Or do I give him a grade based on what the others in the class were capable of doing. Here is where I am struggling. I'd feel like giving him an A if he could just do the work, not because he excelled at it. I'm sure there should be some kind of standard otherwise it wouldn't be "fair" to my daughter a year behind him who doesn't struggle as much. Maybe this should be another thread: How do you give grades for your struggling high school student?

If your child were in school, he would probably have an IEP, right? He would be getting accommodations regarding school work. They'd be modifying what was expected and he would have his own individual goals. I have a friend whose dc can not read well and the child is in high school. This child has tests read to her in school. Mom reads assignments to her at home. The child is getting all A's. A relative's child is on an IEP. Her mom told me that the child is exempt from having to take foreign language, and she'll still graduate with a regular high school diploma.

I have looked at programs like Mother of Divine Grace, for example, and if you have a special needs student they have options for special needs students and I believe you can still obtain a high school diploma with them. I thought you could work within two years of grade level and still get a standard diploma but I can't find that now on their website. I believe that NARHS also has things in place for kids with special needs to obtain a high school diploma.

With regard to your co-op, I would ask if they would be willing to work with you to set up a plan for your son that will have him working at his ability and make progress from there without overwhelming him.

I think you should give the grade based on how well he met the goals that you thought he could meet. You could probably also grade him P/F.

Edited by Violet

Are the co-ops the one giving credit? I guess if that is the case, then no, they probably wouldn't give credit if the class wasn't what the typical high school student could handle.

But usually co-ops don't give the credit. The PARENT decides if the student gives credit. For example, at our local public school, I subbed for a class that was basically on a 2nd grade level. Those students are getting high school credit because the school has deemed it an appropriate class for them (it was an ESL reading class). These students also go to traditional classes (English, History, Science, etc) but have an aid who helps them understand the directions, works with the teacher to modify the assignments, etc.

I would think YOU, at the one giving credit (which is usually the case) can decide ANY class is credit worthy or not. You can also work with the teacher so that he has access to the high school level work, but it is modified (for example, if they are doing country profiles over 3 African countries, maybe he'll do one really well or he'll need to find less information on each of the 3).

My son uses a high school program and then I supplement it. The high school program is fairly low level by homeschool standards. I make him go through each of the materials just like any student would (read carefully, answer end of section questions, do the math, etc). But I allow open book tests. For the writing program, he has another teacher he deals with entirely. She knows how old he is and how he has progressed through their program. I am giving him credit because if he were in public school taking this class, at this level, he would be given credit. It is the appropriate class for him. For math, I chose the program. I choose the pace (based on his needs and current circumstances). He is required, to graduate, to get through a certain level. If he finishes the other work ahead of that, great, but he graduates when *I* say and this math is, imo, important. But yes, he gets credit from me in the meantime. I just name it accordingly.

Sue, as for a class he couldn't handle...you could do a few things. You could continue such a class from home on a better level for him and then give him pass/fail or grade based on whatever you believe is reasonable. You could also simply give him credit for how much he did. If he did 1/3 of the class, then give that much credit. What *I* would probably do is not count it unless he made it a semester or we continued it. It was just a learning experience. Not everything is for credit.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little. You really do have a LOT of control if you are homeschooling through high school. With my daughter, we went all the way the other way counting 8th as high school then cutting high school short also (though she had 31 credits). With my son, we'll have fewer credits, less rigorous, more appropriate for him, and individual leveling on top of modified throughout.

Violet and Pamela, thank you so much for responding. My computer locked up yesterday when I tried to thank you sooner!

You both gave me things to think through. I don't even know what NARHS or Mother of Divine Grace is so I'm learning something new to research. Thanks. I might be asking more questions as I continue on this journey!