Menu

Eating out with Food Allergies

Do you have strategies or hints for eating out with food allergies? Esp. for food allergies to hidden ubiquitous things like corn and onions and wheat. . . . None of our allergies are life-threatening (so far) but it takes the joy out of eating out as a family to come home with a rash, or burning throat, or congested sinuses. . . . We've significantly cut back on eating out (partly because it is so expensive and partly because of the allergies) but sometimes it is more convenient to eat out or even unavoidable if we're out and about or if we are traveling. I'm talking about restaurants, BTW.

The best thing for us was to find a couple of specific places and specific dishes at those places that were "safe". Not terrible exciting, but it made things more workable.

If you list the specific allergies you're facing, maybe we can offer suggestions?

Also, unfortunately chains with more predictable menus were easiest when we had to be most careful about this.

Oh, and Disney. ;) Disney is the most fabulous place *ever* to eat out with allergies, lol. Unfortunately, we can't all eat at Disney restaurants every time we need to deal with food allergies. ;) (They'll send a chef out to your table to discuss options; they'll make fresh food just for you; the chefs are all trained to understand cross-contamination, etc... The first time it happened, and I had been so worried about how ds was going to eat that whole vacation, well, I cried there at the dinner table...)

It is easier for us now that ds is not allergic to beef anymore. We can usually order a hamburger patty for him and some steamed veggies wherever we go. When we are going somewhere that doesn't have anything safe for him, I have freezer meals ready for him. Either I heat it up before we leave or ask if they can do it for me at the restaurant. If I cook chicken at home, I always make enough for leftovers. Some go in the freezer, some in the fridge. If I know we are going somewhere that doesn't have safe food, I grab some chicken from the fridge along with a side. If we are traveling, I keep food him in the cooler just in case we can't find anything for him wherever we go. I do try to match his food with what is available at that particular restaurant when possible. Generally, we stay away from resaurants that don't have safe food for him. Sometimes we don't have that choice (like when we are eating out with others).

One other thing that has helped is to visit the websites of chain restaurants. They will often have the list of ingredients or allergens contained in each menu item. I print these out and keep them in a notebook for a handy reference. I usually know before I arrive at a resaurant what ds will be able to eat. I have learned from experience to emphasize that we are dealing with food allergies so that the waitstaff knows we're not just picky eaters. I have also been known to call ahead (not during a busy time for them) to inquire about ingredients and how food is prepared.

I too have cried in the middle of a restaurant over my ds's allergies. Once, after asking for turkey and sweet potato only for him, the waitress brought his plate with a heavily buttered piece of toast on top of his meat. It made me so sad because he had to wait longer for his food on top of being limited in his choices.

Thankfully, those problems don't occur as much anymore. Our most difficult place to eat out is McD's even though their hamburger patties are safe for ds. I think they can't fathom why anyone would want hamburger meat with no bun. If they get ds's order correct, they usually mess up someone else's. Once, my dh received a Big Mac with no meat in it at all. I guess they thought he just wanted his meat on the side. :001_huh:

Good luck with your search for safe food. HTH!

Some restaurants will allow you to bring food in for your child. Mine both have Celiac, not an allergy but basically treated the same. We have also find calling ahead and talking to the staff or chef works in some cases. Sadly, we just don't eat out much. Both lack of funds and the effort makes it more frustrating than pleasurable.

When my ds was younger and allergic to more things, we usually brought his food along with us. He never complained and the restaurants were wonderful about heating things up for us.

Since then, we've found two or three places he can eat out safely and I don't worry. We stick with them when we're out.

When we travel (we usually drive), I bring our own food. We just don't eat out much. (I budgeted $20/month for it if that tells you anthing! We can't even pay for one meal/month out on that!!)

Oh, and Disney. ;) Disney is the most fabulous place *ever* to eat out with allergies, lol. Unfortunately, we can't all eat at Disney restaurants every time we need to deal with food allergies. ;) (They'll send a chef out to your table to discuss options; they'll make fresh food just for you; the chefs are all trained to understand cross-contamination, etc... The first time it happened, and I had been so worried about how ds was going to eat that whole vacation, well, I cried there at the dinner table...)

ITA!!!!! I kept tearing up the entire time we were at Disney because everything was so awesome. But, when the chef would come out and talk to my ds (not always us!), he felt SOOOO proud and good that he could actually eat out somewhere. We NEVER had a problem in Disney. We're going to stick with them for a while for our family vacations!!

One other thing that has helped is to visit the websites of chain restaurants. They will often have the list of ingredients or allergens contained in each menu item. I print these out and keep them in a notebook for a handy reference. I usually know before I arrive at a resaurant what ds will be able to eat. I have learned from experience to emphasize that we are dealing with food allergies so that the waitstaff knows we're not just picky eaters. I have also been known to call ahead (not during a busy time for them) to inquire about ingredients and how food is prepared.

We have done this in the past and it works well with us. My ds 5 is allergic eggs. I usually check out the kids menu for the chains ahead of time and know what he can have. (otherwise he winds up with salad and french fries for dinner). I do not trust the waiters/waitresses unless they bring me the box or container to check the ingredients myself. The online ingredient lists have been wonderful.

With my milk allergy it has been trickier because a lot of places use a butter based grease on their grills. Salads generally work here and I avoid prepared dressing using oil and vinegar.

Thankfully, none of our allergies are life threatening but it is nice to come home and feel good after eating out. You will find yourself eating out at the same places again and again because you know what you can have.