Menu

Giancoli Physics, Hewitt Conceptual Physics....help???

I have looked (briefly) through both of these texts. The Giancoli book looks HARD, HARD, HARD. The Conceptual Physics book looks friendly and like something even I could do!

I am looking for a physics program for my dd for next year. She will be a senior. She will be finishing Algebra 2 around the end of May/beginning of June and will be doing PreCalculus for the fall.

She wants to major in Biology or Environmental Science in college, not a technical science (like engineering).

Would the Conceptual Physics book be enough since she is interested in a science field? Would the Giancoli book be overkill? She loves science and the conceptual method of the Hewitt book seems so appealing.

Anyone with any experience using these book?

Help...

Personally, I think the conceptual book is fine even for the student that will go into engineering. The part of physics that bogs so many down is the math and even for the math-oriented student, learning the concepts will help make understanding physics better.

I think the purpose of high school physics is to expose students to physics and to prepare students to take college physics. I don't think you have to cover all of engineering physics in high school, as students can learn that in college (or a second year of high school physics if interested).

I think the purpose of high school physics is to expose students to physics and to prepare students to take college physics. I don't think you have to cover all of engineering physics in high school, as students can learn that in college (or a second year of high school physics if interested).

:iagree:I looked at both of those a few years ago, and I think the conceptual is fine especially if it appeals to her. Giancolli is hard. I believe it is often used for students taking AP physics. Ds did high school physics in 9th using Apologia. Dh is in charge of upper level science around here, and he liked that one best for ds's age. Anyway, ds was well prepared for college physics, so I agree you don't always need some killer text in high school!

Mary

Giancoli is a very good text for the Physics B exam, the one that requires trig, not calculus. Dd used Giancoli for about a month before switching to a Physics C book because she decided to go for Physics C instead this year.

A wise chemistry professor told me that physics is best seen twice. It is a GOOD thing to have a course that focuses on concepts first before (perhaps) a more difficult college physics course, especially a calc-based one. I think both of these choices would work out fine for your dd, with probably the Giancoli book being more challenging.

As a side note, some biology degrees require a calc-based physics course, or have it as an option. You might want to check out the degree requirements at your dd's intended colleges. It's a great time to do this anyway, before she begins the application process.

Blessings,

Kim

As a side note, some biology degrees require a calc-based physics course, or have it as an option. You might want to check out the degree requirements at your dd's intended colleges. It's a great time to do this anyway, before she begins the application process.

Blessings,

Kim

This is what I was going to say as well. You might want to look at what physics course(s) might be required in her eventual college major.

We have used both Giancoli and Conceptual Physics. I really liked both books. My older son used Giancoli as his first Physics course his junior year of high school, and it was a really tough course for him. The book is good and really explains things well, but it is really focused on the math needed to solve the problems.

I'm using Conceptual Physics now with his younger brother, and both of us are getting so much more of an understanding of the concepts than we had before. Hewitt has a cartoon in the front showing kids trying to climb atop of a large cube labeled something like "college physics". In front of it is another structure with steps labeled something like "conceptual physics". The idea being that it's really tough to "scale the wall" of college physics without that staircase of conceptual physics to help one along. After using both courses, I completely understand what he was getting at with these illustrations.

Both courses would probably fit the bill for your dd, but I'd gather that she would enjoy the Hewitt course more.

Brenda

:iagree:I looked at both of those a few years ago, and I think the conceptual is fine especially if it appeals to her. Giancolli is hard. I believe it is often used for students taking AP physics. Ds did high school physics in 9th using Apologia. Dh is in charge of upper level science around here, and he liked that one best for ds's age. Anyway, ds was well prepared for college physics, so I agree you don't always need some killer text in high school!

Mary

I'm sorry to go off topic for a second, but Mary would you mind sharing what order your son did the rest of the sciences after having done physics in 9th? I'm thinking of using Apologia physics next year, for dd who will be in 9th, and then going to Chem and bio after.

Thank you!

I also think a conceptual physics course first is a great idea. It can always be followed up by a more challenging one later on. We're thinking the Saxon physics would prepare for the AP if she's interested in a second year.

Ds did biology in 8th, physics in 9th, and chem in 10th at a local academy for home schoolers so that he would be writing lab reports for someone other than me. The 8th grade bio study counted as high school credit. He studied advanced physics using Apologia in 11th and while it is not a calc based text, dh presented relevant calculus principles where appropriate. Ds did dual enrollment his sr year in high school and took calculus and physics at a local small university. These courses covered concepts he had already studied at home and then he went beyond. My point being that he had the introduction in home school, and he was prepared to continue the study in college. I hope this has helped you some!

Mary

I also think a conceptual physics course first is a great idea. It can always be followed up by a more challenging one later on. We're thinking the Saxon physics would prepare for the AP if she's interested in a second year.

If obtaining college credit applicable to a science (or any) degree is your goal, you must be careful about which Physics AP exam your student studies for and takes. Saxon Physics is appropriate, from what I understand, for the Physics B exam. Colleges do not often award credit for Physics B towards a science degree.

As always, please check with the college(s) AP Credit Policy in which your student is interested before having him/her study for and take an AP exam. All of the AP Physics exams are challenging, and it may be disheartening for a student to study for and take one, and not be awarded useful credit.

GardenMom

For the sake of clarification, please know that unless Saxon has a new edition out for physics, the current book does NOT prepare a student for the AP exam B or C. It is simply missing too many topics that are covered on the test. If taking the AP exam is your student's goal, please compare the topics required for the exam with the book you select or at least a prep book. I know of two families whose children used Saxon and found out the hard way that it did not prepare the kids for the exam.

Not trying to discourage any Saxon users but simply offering advice from others who have been there too.

Mary

For the sake of clarification, please know that unless Saxon has a new edition out for physics, the current book does NOT prepare a student for the AP exam B or C. It is simply missing too many topics that are covered on the test. If taking the AP exam is your student's goal, please compare the topics required for the exam with the book you select or at least a prep book. I know of two families whose children used Saxon and found out the hard way that it did not prepare the kids for the exam.

Not trying to discourage any Saxon users but simply offering advice from others who have been there too.

Mary

Good to know! Thanks!

We found out the hard way about Apologia and AP Chemistry. We thought that because Apologia said on their website that their two Chem books together would be considered an AP course, that it would work for us. My ds did well with both Chem books but only got a 3 on the exam, "passing" but not getting credit. He needed a 4 and was so disappointed! He took Chem at college and aced it, so I would say that Apologia is good for a college prep high school course, but not AP, no matter what they say. (I have heard of one student who did get a 5 on the AP Chem exam after using Apologia, so ymmv.)

As Sandra said, it is best to compare what's on the AP exam with what's in the texts. You can find out the info by downloading the Course Description for each exam from the College Board website.

I am excited by the prospect of homeschoolers taking AP exams. They are a good option in our "how to get college credit at home" toolbox.

GardenMom

Edited by MomsintheGarden
Clarification

Thank you GardenMom and Mary! The reason I was thinking Saxon is that my daughter is using them for math and really enjoys the way they teach. With math being her favorite subject, I thought it would be a way to do math and have it count for science, so to speak. There's only one Saxon physics, they don't have any recent editions, so it is the one you're thinking of. I'll need to look more at the content vs what's required for the test - I was thinking the B test.

As far as colleges accepting the course for credit, I think that many won't accept AP classes towards your major, only for other subjects. I know there are exceptions. I don't think we'll know what we'll do until she completes the Apologia course. I have no idea the extent, or lack, of her interest. :)

Thanks so much for the heads up!!! :)