Menu

No Vaccine moms???

I don't remember any of the three colleges I attended ever asking for that.....but that was 15 years ago. I would think, with college campuses being a hodge-podge of society as they are (ie different religions, races, backgrounds, etc), that IF they had a vaccine req, it would be quite common for exceptions. I have no worries about that when we get to that point...now the writing portion of the SAT, THAT I am worried about :)!

What do you do for college?

What is the vac. requirement for college?

Depends on the college. The each make their own policy. When I was in grad school, all students had to have proof of MMR. All students living in the dorms had to have a meningitis vaccine. I just checked and that no longer seems to be required.

The health science departments also required Hep B for anyone with patient contact.

Check websites of schools you are interested in. Most will have their policy online.

My husband used to be a school principal, and all the parent has to do is sign a waiver if their kids did not receive shots. I am not sure what applies to college. I know that my child was able to get into school for k5 (before we homeschooled) and we just had to sign something. No biggie. I'd be interested to find out about how it affects college.... :001_huh:

Is that the HIB vaccine and are there any side effects to it, its been years???

Hib is Haemophilus influenzae type B. Hib is mostly a problem of young kids so I wouldn't expect it to be required for college.

Hep B is Hepatitis B and is a serious concern for health care workers, as it can be transmitted by needle sticks.

Edited by Perry

"College freshmen living in dormitories are at increased risk for meningococcal disease and should be vaccinated with meningococcal conjugate vaccine before college entry if they have not previously been vaccinated." copied from the cdc website.

It is different from the Hib vaccine. I went ahead and got the vaccine in college because 5 students at my school contracted meningitis and they offered the vaccine for free. As one of the kids was in the marching band and I had a lot of contact with people in the marching band, I thought it was prudent. Turned out to be a very good decision because 3 years later my DH got meningitis (wasn't vaccinated). I had also opted to have my DS vaccinated with the Hib shot so he was safe as well (he was 6 months old at the time). This is one vaccine that I have never questioned getting for my kids. I saw how it affected my DH and there's no way I'd risk that with my kids.