Menu

Honey facial

Ds just started using the honey facial on Sunday. I read on here that sometimes your face will get worse before it gets better. He is wondering how long before it gets better! He had light to mild case of acne and he has eczema--which I was hoping the honey would help too--he does not like lotions at all!

It seems like his face is a little more bumpy--not the white/black heads--Sorry TMI.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

My dd14 started this over a week ago and she has cleared up well is some areas, but others she seems to be getting worse, so I've told her to try it for at least another week because I have heard that with other products it can get worse before it gets better; and it also seems to go away faster.

It would be great to hear from someone with more experience, however.

Ava

We finally got dd some Rx stuff for her acne. The doctor said that the acne the meds were fighting were 6 weeks from actually showing up. We went back 6 weeks later for a follow up appointment. The doc saw the improvement she wanted on dd's face but wanted to do more for the acne on her body. She even said the topical stuff doesn't do much good on the body acne. This was a regular pediatrician, not a dermatologist.

I may have dd try honey on the body acne. Her face looks sooo good. I feel bad now that we waited so long.

I haven't tried the honey but I have used a lot of products as I have had acne my whole life.

The 'getting worse before it gets better' is true with a lot of products. Products that loosen the dead skin off the face often open up clogged pores but the pore still has to empty and clear itself. It takes a while for all the pores to empty as they are all in various stages of being clogged. What I would look for is if the redness is subsiding. If the new spots are smaller and seem to progress through the various stages faster and don't end up getting to an large red bump. If they are looking redder and angrier, this is not the treatment for you.

I will often end up with a lot of new small bumps that seem to fade pretty fast. Then as areas heal and have no bumps, new ones do not reappear in that area. For me it takes about 2 weeks of using a treatment to go from full break out to clear skin. There may be a few stragglers but my face is 99% clear after 2 weeks.

When I am really trying to clear my face a few things I make sure to do are...

use rubbing alcohol to clean every phone I use. Phones are a huge source of bacteria

Wash my pillow case at least weekly and sometimes during the week.

DO NOT touch the face during the day. I tend to rest my head on my hand while reading so I have to avoid doing this.

No hair products at all. If I leave hairspray in my hair over night I will break out from it the next day. I think it gets on my skin while I sleep.

I don't lay on couch pillows or any other fabric that hasn't been washed.

I drink lots of fluids and take a multivitamin. I also take and extra B complex and C.

I will spot treat any spots that come up to a head with an acne treatment. I use prescriptions products by you can also use some OTC benzoyl peroxide.

I use grape seed and jojoba oil instead of lotion.