Menu

When/how to teach music to the uninterested kid?

DD (age 6 next month, 1st grade next school year) has never been into music, whether listening or playing or singing. She'll request the occasional song, sing a song once in a blue moon, and sometimes play a little on the piano. I'd like her to learn *something* music related at some point in her life, but I'm not sure what would be best. I don't think she'd complain terribly if I did something at home or had her take lessons, but I don't want to bother pushing it too early either.

I took a couple years of piano around the age of 11. I can sort of play but I'm not good. I LOVE to sing, but I'm pretty bad at that too;) I worry that it's my terrible, constant singing that's turned her off!! lol

So, for music in general (appreciation, playing, etc) what/when would be a good start, when the child hasn't shown an interest?

Heheh. I did ballet for a while as a kid and refused to go ever again when winter came because we weren't allowed to wear shoes or socks and my feet got cold!

Have you taken her to see a professional ballet? Theatre? Does she like musicals? (My kids are watching 'Singing in the Rain' atm!) If music gets attention in your house, it'll work its way into her brain. My little brother adores the Les Miserables musical because I played it so often when we were growing up :D

Rosie

Maybe a music class or co-op?? The social aspect of it might make it more appealing than one on one lessons with a teacher?? My dd isn't much of a music lover either. I was teaching her one on one at home and she was very bored. She played well, but she really had no interest in it and only did it because I required her to do it. Since that time I have started a small co-op class in my house that meets once a week. My dd absolutely loves the class. She gets excited when the kids are close to coming and enjoys talking with them and socializing with them before and after class. She knows that she has to practice during the week in order to be prepared for class so she does it with the motivation of being with the kids. :)

HTH

Oooh, a group setting is a good idea. I have not the time, energy, nor skills to oversee a class myself, but I'll start watching for something like that.

We've gone to a couple ballet performances by a local school, but that's all so far. Now that they're getting old enough to sit still, I should start watching for other events as well!

A couple of things to add to the others. An inexpensive keyboard that she can carry around with her wherever she goes might spark an interest in playing piano or something down the road. That's how one of our ds's started out.

Classical music on NPR (or online at http://theclassicalstation.org/ ). I accidentally discovered that if I played good music off and on during the day,and occassionally quizzed dc by asking them if they could name the composer of the piece currently playing ... they would learn them - both the pieces and the composers. Then, buy CD's of anything she says she likes and let her play them over and over and over.....

Also, I used to pick up any musical instruments I happened across at yard sales and thrift stores. They were cheap and dc could play them any way they wanted to play them. (ie. they could bang and sing to their heart's content without my worrying about their damaging an expensive instrument) They loved that.

HTH

Edited by ksva