Menu

9yo daughter must read aloud. Auditory learner?

I would love some input on these types of learners. She must read everything aloud to understand it. She talks to herself when she plays (horses, battles, etc.). She is highly distractable and is completely and utterly mesmerized by television.

I think she must be an auditory learner. But the need to read everything aloud is something I would like to work on. She says she can't hear herself when she reads silently. :confused: or :D I haven't decided whether to laugh or worry.

Should I roll with it, or get information of how to "change" it?

I'm just looking for some btdt advice before I proceed further.

Thanks.

Jo

Edited by battlemaiden
double wording

Jo, I think my younger sister was like this... I thought she would never learn to read. She is almost 12 years younger so I remember her struggling with reading. My mom just kept reading TO her, every night, whatever she wanted, LONG chapter books, all the Narnia books, Redwall, etc... Mom read aloud to her until she was about 14 and didn't want to be read to. She didn't begin to read for herself for pleasure until she was probably close to 18, but she reads all the time now.

She has said that if she had not had my mom to read to her, she might have just given up. The constant hearing of the stories made her realize that the stories were out there and kept up her interest in literature. By the time she went to college, she could do literary analysis with the best.

My middle daughter still does this, and she is 14. It used to really worry me. She can read silently now if she has to (during testing, etc), but at home she still prefers to read out loud. The whisper, whisper sound drives the rest of us crazy.:D

She is a very good student and loves to read. She is a slower reader than my other children, but her retention is excellent.

My middle daughter still does this' date=' and she is 14. It used to really worry me. She can read silently now if she has to (during testing, etc), but at home she still prefers to read out loud. The whisper, whisper sound drives the rest of us crazy.:D

She is a very good student and loves to read. She is a slower reader than my other children, but her retention is excellent.[/quote']

This sounds exactly like my daughter- "whisper, whisper sound" :D. Definitely a slower reader too, and she has to concentrate so hard if she is reading quietly. Actually, it is getting a little worse because she has figured out the difference and she prefers to hear herself. At least she *wants* to understand what she is reading.

Heather- You have inspired me to carve out some read aloud time for books that she would love. Thanks.

Jo

Ds is a visual learner but processes information verbally/auditorily better. So, if he wants to learn facts...visual is best. If he has to figure something out like a logic problem, he does best to talk it out. He can not remember a list of facts only given to him verbally. He needs to see it to remember it. But, he needs to hear something if he can't figure something out. Like a math problem; he will read it out load and then can solve it easier.

Ds could always go to his room and do his school work. He hates to do school in a room with noise...it is very, very intrusive to him.

I have heard of kids that can't be in a private area having very good success using a 'tube phone' which is basically PVC pipe fitted to be a letter C that the child uses to read outloud to themselves, just like it is a play phone. They the pipe allows them to speak quieter, and to block out other sounds (like a classroom of other readers), while channeling their reading, right back into their own ear.

DD11 loves to read outloud to herself. I will hear her in her room late at night, reading outloud. She can read silently, she just prefers it outloud.

I do this sometimes. My problem is that I read quite fast (drives my husband crazy when I'm reading something over his shoulder and urging him to turn the page before he's even half done :)) and can often miss important bits. I read out loud to slow myself done and really understand what I'm reading. I don't really bother with labels like auditory learner, I simply do what works for me.

I know people sometimes assume reading out loud means you're a slow or deliberate reader but I'm betting that very often it's exactly the opposite.

I really wouldn't worry with your daughter. Reading well takes a lot of practice. As she grows she'll likely develop some strategies for reading silently. If she still prefers reading out loud then she's in good company. After all the Romans thought it was the proper way to read a text.