Menu

DIY'ers - Vinyl tiles that you grout? Anyone seen these?

I just got back from Home Depot where dh and I spent the better part of our morning looking at flooring, countertops, sinks fixtures etc. We will be doing a floor to ceiling kitchen remodel this spring and about 400 sf of flooring is part of the plan (kitchen, laundry, dining room and kid's bath). We are looking for one product for all those rooms.

There is a new tile there that I've never seen or even heard of before. It is self-stick vinyl tiles. They are thick and have rounded edges and can be installed with or without grout (sanded acrylic grout, which if understand correctly is more like caulk). Has anyone here done this? They really do look like ceramic and are almost as thick.

This will be going down on a subfloor that is far from perfect. This is a manufactured home made in 1994. Money is somewhat of an object and @ $1.39 sf this is sure looking very attractive. Especially since it can go right over the existing vinyl.

The runner up would be the vinyl plank flooring someone here (Renee?) has used. That sure looks nice too, and I'm very familiar with the way that installs having done a ton of laminate. :tongue_smilie:

I've seen them and used them, but I've never heard of grouting them.

I should have clarified. I was in a hurry. :tongue_smilie:

Self-stick tiles are not new, but these extra thick ceramic look-a-like ones are. They are a tad thicker than commercial tiles and have a matte finish like most ceramic and high end vinyl.

They can be installed with or without grout. I bought three to look at in the light of my kitchen. I'll have to upload pics later as they had a sample of several installed & grouted on a piece of plywood. If I hadn't read the sign, I'd have swore they were ceramic.

They are about twice as thick as a standard vinyl tile and are almost like a laminate/composite kind of material. I'm not actually sure what they're made of now that I look at them closer. I think I'll be cutting one up soon.

ETA: Here it is:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=973069&Ntt=973069&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

I wish they showed it installed.

Edited by darlasowders

I did this in a small bathroom, with premixed colored grout. Now, I've never grouted before, but I found it very frustrating--the grout kept washing out of the groutlines as I wiped the tiles with my wet sponge--maybe because the groutlines aren't very deep? Maybe it was the type of grout I bought? I just hope no one looks too closely at the floor.

If I were to do it again, I would find someone who has done it successfully and discuss it. The tiles themselves were easy to work with and lay. I imagine if your surface is uneven some of that might "come through" the tile since vinyl is flexible.

There is a new tile there that I've never seen or even heard of before. It is self-stick vinyl tiles. They are thick and have rounded edges and can be installed with or without grout (sanded acrylic grout, which if understand correctly is more like caulk). Has anyone here done this? They really do look like ceramic and are almost as thick.

I've seen them and looked at a brochure at the flooring store a friend owns. They look great, and one added benefit is that they won't be as cold as tile on little feet in the winter.

Honestly, from a look standpoint, they look just like tile. I'd let dh do it, but we already had the tile picked out for the upstairs bathroom anyway.

I didn't know the cost, however, and that is a great price. Hmmm, may have to consider it for the kitchen.

Going to try posting a pic...

So THAT's how people do that thumbnail thing! :hurray: The one on the right is my current favorite.

I am planning to play around with a few samples and some plywood over the next few weeks (It's cheap!). I'm toying with adding some grout to caulk and experimenting a bit. We'll call it a homeschool project! :D

ETA: here is a forum I found where this product is being discussed--in case any of you are in the mood to tackle a similar project.

Edited by darlasowders