Menu

MCT Town Level questions

Handmaiden

Ds finished Grammar Town and is doing about 2 sentences/day in Practice Town. From what I've read, I can now introduce all three of the rest of the books, right?

Caesar's English

Paragraph Town

Building Poems

If so, can someone share how you incorporate this into a daily/weekly schedule? Practice Town takes him 5-10 min. He's also doing a Write at Home online class (15 min/daily), plus Sequential Spelling (5 min/daily). I'm trying to target about an hour of Language Arts/day. I'm thinking of doing CE 2x a week to finish it by summer, but am not sure about the rest.

I'd also love any other tips about using the Town level. I feel like I don't have a firm grasp on it.

TIA!

Edited by Handmaiden

I was trying to accelerate a bit through Town, as I had 6th graders doing it. We did CEI and Paragraph Town both 2x/week, and about 4 sentences in Practice Town. We're done with CEI and ParaTown, and about 1/2way through Practice Town. I'm going to bump them up to Voyage Grammar now, even though they haven't finished Practice Town - they are not being challenged by the Town level sentences. The original plan was to do Building Poems on Fridays, but I think we only got to it once. I've decided we're going to do a Poetry unit this spring, and incorporate it that way. Wish me luck!

Ds finished Grammar Town and is doing about 2 sentences/day in Practice Town. From what I've read, I can now introduce all three of the rest of the books, right?

Caesar's English

Paragraph Town

Building Poems

If so, can someone share how you incorporate this into a daily/weekly schedule? Practice Town takes him 5-10 min. He's also doing a Write at Home online class (15 min/daily), plus Sequential Spelling (5 min/daily). I'm trying to target about an hour of Language Arts/day. I'm thinking of doing CE 2x a week to finish it by summer, but am not sure about the rest.

I'd also love any other tips about using the Town level. I feel like I don't have a firm grasp on it.

TIA!

Yes, you can do the other books now. Twice a week is fine for CE. That's how we did it. Building Poems is being saved to do along with a poetry unit I'm trying to put together, and PT, we're still doing. We were doing that twice a week at the beginning, but now we're going back over a few of the exercises and are taking it a bit slower. About one a week. We finished the practice book. We found the sentences in there to be less challenging than the ones in PT, but still kept things fresh. At first, I could take or leave the practice book, but dd said that she learns from it, so I won't argue.

I will either be starting the Voyage level grammar in a couple weeks, or the poetry unit. I'm leaning toward Voyage simply because I've been sick, and I'm more ambitious during the summer.

As for time, for CE, one day you could spend 15-30 minutes going through the chapter together. To just read through doesn't take that long, but encouraging discussions is what makes it so great. On Monday, we did a cumulative oral quiz and that was it for vocab. Tues. lesson, Wed. workbook quiz, Thurs. lesson, Fri. workbook quiz. Even with the discussion, it doesn't take very long.

For Paragraph Town, we've changed it up as the exercises progressed. We were doing it twice a week when the assignments were just analyzing. Now that we're actually creating paragraphs and essays, we work on it daily. I'd say be flexible with it.

We spend about 2 hours a day on LA, but it also includes Latin and a World Literature text we do.