Menu

How much time for timed tests for 6yo??

diaperjoys

We've recently incorporated math fact timed tests into our math routine for our 6.5yo 1st grader. How much time is normal?? I've been giving him one minute, but he has yet to finish all the problems in that time, even on tests that only use +1 problems, which he knows quite well. Should we keep practicing, or increase the time?

If you must time, why wouldn't you time to see how long it takes to complete and graph the tries over a week or two? The graph should show improvement which should be motivating for your dc. If it doesn't show improvement, it would tell you if your dc is at his/her best speed already.

In RS C, we are encouraged to time math facts but ONLY if our dc respond well to the timing and only after they have all the facts mastered. Dr Cotter has a strong warning in the text that many children begin to hate math b/c of the pressure of timed tests. I don't know if that's true, but I thought I should pass that on.

We've recently incorporated math fact timed tests into our math routine for our 6.5yo 1st grader. How much time is normal?? I've been giving him one minute, but he has yet to finish all the problems in that time, even on tests that only use +1 problems, which he knows quite well. Should we keep practicing, or increase the time?

Our first grader can finish about 50 facts in 2 minutes using Holey Cards. My second grader can complete around 80 in the same time, same problems too! We started by timing how long it took them to finish the cards, then once they were up for the challenge, we went the other way by allowing them 2 min. to complete as much as possible. Once they were doing well and completing the front side, we switched it up by starting on the backside. Since Holey Cards are designed with easier problems on the front of the card, once they could complete the front in the allotted time, we then had them start on the back. Once they were fairing well on the backside, we had them go back to the front. They could then increase their total completed by about 20%. It takes a while. You have to know whether or not the time is a help or hindrance. Some kids can't take the pressure of being timed, while others thrive on the competition b/t themselves or against another. Holey Cards are about $1 or $2 and available at Rainbow Resource. They have cards for all 4 maths +, -, x, / We play them each summer as math review for all of the dc and keep a chart of personal bests and best overall by using graphed posterboard and star stickers....easy, cheap, fun!

You also have to look at the difference between a written test and flashcards. My ds loves math, and is really good at it, but his writing is horrible and he really has to think about it. So a timed written test wouldn't really show his skills. Doing it verbally with flashcards will really show where his skills are.

We are using MEP, and it doesn't have timed tests per se, but it does have small sections of problems where it says to give the children X number of minutes to complete, usually 4 or 5 minutes. If they don't get it all done, then just move on. If they finish, great. My ds feels motivated to work faster when given a time limit, but he always gets it done before time is up.

I go the other route - we don't time at all unless there are dawdling issues. I'm of the opinion that at 6 years old, timing is counter-productive unless the child instigates it as a game. As children get older, introducing timed assignments can help them prepare for standardized tests, but IMO these are not appropriate or necessary for an early elementary child.

My son really likes the timed tests. They are great for helping him to focus, and really try his best. And, he's really proud of what he can accomplish before the time is up, and he gets lots of praise for his work. He can usually get to the low or mid teens, but has never made it to twenty before the minute is up. The tests have been great for him, and we don't plan to stop; I'm just trying to get a feel for how long it generally takes a first grader to hustle through 20 math facts.

You also have to look at the difference between a written test and flashcards. My ds loves math, and is really good at it, but his writing is horrible and he really has to think about it. So a timed written test wouldn't really show his skills. Doing it verbally with flashcards will really show where his skills are.

That's a good idea, I'll try it with DS.

We are using MEP, and it doesn't have timed tests per se, but it does have small sections of problems where it says to give the children X number of minutes to complete, usually 4 or 5 minutes. If they don't get it all done, then just move on. If they finish, great.

:iagree: I think you need to know your goal. Mine is just to show DS that being timed is not a big deal.

Counting X minutes to complete 20 problems is not that different from counting X problems in 3 minutes. Both will show progress. I think for my DS7 its better to do a specific time, but I think DS6 will be the opposite, and will want to complete all the given problems.

Timed tests are only fun when dc feel like they are beating the clock...or are close enough to beat it next time. And, ime they are only effective when they are fun.

So, when we have done timed tests - written - I give 3 minutes. Then I add up how many he got correct...and we watch the number correct grow. My ds still reverses lots of numbers, especially if he's trying to write fast...so for now, we don't do timed tests like that b/c it only reinforces bad writing. urg!

But, we do flash cards regularly. I set the timer for 5min and pick up a stack of cards and he can run and play when he finishes the cards or the timer buzzes. (incentive to beat the clock;)) I try to pick an amount that he can do in about 4min *if* he focuses on the task.

I wouldn't give him a time limit. Use a stop watch instead and encourage him to beat his own best time if you must time him at all. :)

Disclaimer: I haven't assigned my children timed tests. They're included with the math curriculums they use, but they choose whether or not to set the timer on their own accord. I don't even mention it to them. Neither of my oldest two got the timer out on their own until fourth grade.

Edited by SilverMoon