Menu

Right Start type Math games...

Mommyfaithe

I just looked at this sight and YIKES!!!! That is some expensive game ther! Does anyone know if there is a site online for math games that are similar to right start? I already have tons of manipulatives, rods, clocks, geo-boards, pattern blocks...you name it! Now I would like some games to use with these fun things that isn't going to cost me a weeks pay!

Thanks!

Faithe

I bought the Right Start card games book used, and I made all of my own cards to go along with the games without any trouble.

As far as games with the manipulatives you mention, I would just leave them out for exploration time. You could print the tanagrams booklet at the CSMP website. I think there are two or three of them, based upon grades, maybe with increasing difficulty.

I am finding that we are getting away from so many manipulatives, and working more with the Cuisenaire rods and mini-computers from CSMP. The CSMP website has printable C-rods that you could color in and cut out if you'd like. Peggy Kaye has a math games book that might work also, if it could be found at your library. Sorry I don't have more advice, but maybe someone else will chime in and give more.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I bought the Right Start card games book used, and I made all of my own cards to go along with the games without any trouble.

Yes, this would really be a breeze. (Actually, I wish some of the cards were bigger so you could customize them to your own liking if you did this.)

I agree with just buying the book and making your own cards. I now feel this was money wasted (my dd doesn't even like the games very much). It is nice to get a little abacus with it though. You might look for the book by Peggy Kaye called Math Games -- much cheaper and includes some of the same games. Also, Family Math is a good inexpensive book with games ideas.

What about the "corner cards"?

Bill

I made them from white poster board cut into 2" X 2" squares. I used a scrapbook cutter to cut after measuring with a yardstick and cutting long lengths from it of 2" wide poster board. (poster board is a misnomer---that stuff is not thick!) I bought mine at Dollar Tree, but Target, Walmart, Hobby Lobby all carry the stuff.

I watched the videos on you tube to see how the cards worked, then wrote my numbers on the sides of the cards as shown in the videos. Be aware that playing the game "corners" requires a bit of space, as the area played upon will expand as more and more cards are placed in succeeding plays.

Editing to add that I have no idea about the size of the RS cards. I just made my own based upon how I wanted them to look--size, etc.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

I purchased the RS Math Games and now wish I had saved the money. I had great intentions to use it daily but have let it slip through the cracks. I second the idea of making your own cards and just buying the book or using the YouTube videos to get yourself started. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alabacus&search=tag

Good luck,

Shannon