Menu

Medieval Themed Sources for IEW Writing

Pam B

Hopefully you all can help me here. My kids have done IEW (via Essentials in their Classical Conversation class) for two years. We will be doing the Medeival themed history next year (6th grade WTM - no CC) and I'm curious to know if anyone knows a good resourse to use- possibly fictional- that we can use in a similar way to IEW. We've already gone through the Medeival themed IEW book.

My sons like doing their reports/stories that way, but I need short stories to keep him from getting overwhelmed. I really would like to give them a fictional book to work from, as I am seeing a growing need for them to just enjoy writing. It is a lot harder to write nonfiction. I want them to be able to add and expand freely, without worrying about it changing the 'true' story.

Can anyone help me out here? I've been scowering the net for days for different subjects. My brain is F-R-I-E-D! :ack2:

Hopefully you all can help me here. My kids have done IEW (via Essentials in their Classical Conversation class) for two years. We will be doing the Medeival themed history next year (6th grade WTM - no CC) and I'm curious to know if anyone knows a good resourse to use- possibly fictional- that we can use in a similar way to IEW. We've already gone through the Medeival themed IEW book.

My sons like doing their reports/stories that way, but I need short stories to keep him from getting overwhelmed. I really would like to give them a fictional book to work from, as I am seeing a growing need for them to just enjoy writing. It is a lot harder to write nonfiction. I want them to be able to add and expand freely, without worrying about it changing the 'true' story.

Can anyone help me out here? I've been scowering the net for days for different subjects. My brain is F-R-I-E-D! :ack2:

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for. Are you looking for a resource to help you with literary analysis or are you asking for book suggestions in order to do literary analysis on them?

I'm looking for books they can use to keyword their stories from. Just short stories that have a medieval theme.

Hmm..I'm going to go two ways with this question, please pardon me. take what you like and leave the rest because ymmv. :D

Have you looked at Teaching the Classics from IEW? It might help you move forward from doing an outline of short stories and learning to do whole books. Your older kids are getting old enough to ramp this up. If you are interested in something like this, say so and I'll also suggest some whole books that would be good for this.

If you aren't interested in that, I'll go ahead and suggest some short story versions.

Geraldine McCaughrean:

The Canterbury Tales

One thousand and One Arabian Nights

Charles and Mary Lamb:

Tales From Shakespeare

Ah, I guess I will just have to figure something out. Teaching the Classics is going to be way over their heads. I was thinking, maybe even finding some simple coloring books that tell short stories. Something they could just get the core of the story and add in their own details. KWIM?

I did look through Dover Publishing. However, their coloring books seem to be more facts that stories. Another idea, would be to just have them go to the beginner reader section in the library and choose a few books from their. I've even thought it might be neat to get a picture book and have them write a story based on that, similar to picture study, I guess.

I just want to get them comfortable with writing before moving on. Right now my youngest, especially just does not want to write at all! I want him to be able to have fun w/ it, relax and enjoy the process.

Ah, I guess I will just have to figure something out. Teaching the Classics is going to be way over their heads. I was thinking, maybe even finding some simple coloring books that tell short stories. Something they could just get the core of the story and add in their own details. KWIM?

If you lived close to me I would let you look at it. I think it's much less scary than it sounds. ;) How about Deconstructing Penguins? Have you read that? Maybe that would help you feel better about the subject.

You might try looking at http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com. They have a whole host of history-themed books for different time periods. This is an excellent company. :001_smile:

DO you get The Old Schoolhouse magazine? There was an article in their in the winter edition that was so very helpful to me. I almost cried when I read it. :D It is called Three Keys to Teaching Writing by Danielle Olander. I would see if you can get a copy of that article, also I believe IEW has a book called a source text for Middle ages for under $10. Not sure this is what you are looking for, but thought I would throw it out there.