Menu

HWOT questions

Mopdop

I just received my HWOT kit for Kindergarten and am very excited to use it with ds.

Here are a few questions for those who have gone before me:

1. Did you follow the book exactly - teaching capitals, numbers then lower case. Or did you review the capitals while you were doing numbers &/or lowercase so your dc didn't forget?

2. What did you do when you completed the book? Move onto the next HWOT level right away or start some gentle copywork? Or have dc go over the letters on spare HWOT paper?

I do review the capitals while we are working on lowercase. I bought the gray block paper as well, which has 25 sheets of capital review. Occasionally I will have ds fill out one along with the workbook pages to keep the capitals fresh in his muscle memory.

Personally, we are doing copywork along with the K stuff to cement the stroke formation before moving on to the 1st grade book. StartWrite is a great compliment because it contains the HWOT font and you can print out whatever you want. I started with ds's full name for him to copy, and added words, and sometimes we do one sentence. I'm pulling sentences from where we are OPG and typing them into StartWrite, because my understanding of copywork is that it works best if dc can read and then copy the sentence. HTH!

OK, so I have planned out HWOT Kindergarten and it'll take 20 wks, doing it 4 times a wk. So what do I do after that? Do I go into the 1st grade book?

Thanks for your help!!!!

:) HWT has been a hit here! We just move seamlessly from one book to the next. I confess to NOT using the Teacher's Manuals and just letting the book guide us! We are in the middle of the first grade book with both boys (they are developmentally different with their fine motor skills). We used the PreK, K and now the My Printing Book.

Enjoy!

StartWrite is a great compliment because it contains the HWOT font and you can print out whatever you want.

Which font in this program is the HWOT font? I'm just getting ready to start HWOT and I have one son that I know is going to need extra help/practice.

Thanks,

Mendy

I did some additional review along with the book -- extra practice on the block paper, double line paper and slates. I think the teacher's guide are useful, at least for Kindergarten so you can understand the philosophy (and it has good tips in it). I went to a HWT training, and basically every thing they covered is in those TM's. We did do in the order it has in the book -- they've designed it specifically to do in that order, which is explained in the TM's.

I did go onto the 1st grade book, but that was because we didn't finish the K book until early 1st grade at home (started it in private K when dd was having handwriting troubles). I then skipped most of the 1st book ,and went to the 2nd grade book because I discovered my dd did much better with the smaller line size of 2nd grade. I'm now about to start her on cursive. She's also doing copywork every day with Writing With Ease Workbook 1.

Personally, we are doing copywork along with the K stuff to cement the stroke formation before moving on to the 1st grade book. StartWrite is a great compliment because it contains the HWOT font and you can print out whatever you want. I started with ds's full name for him to copy, and added words, and sometimes we do one sentence. I'm pulling sentences from where we are OPG and typing them into StartWrite, because my understanding of copywork is that it works best if dc can read and then copy the sentence. HTH!

The OPG sentence copywork is a great idea. Am I correct in thinking that StareWrite is a DVD you can buy and print whatever you want in the HWOT font?

The OPG sentence copywork is a great idea. Am I correct in thinking that StareWrite is a DVD you can buy and print whatever you want in the HWOT font?

Yup, that's right. On the StartWrite website they actually don't list that the CD contains HWOT font, which I think is a big mistake on their part because they are missing out on advertising to a huge market. Once I purchased it and realized that HWOT font (& 2 line format) was on the disc I was very happy.

Yup, that's right. On the StartWrite website they actually don't list that the CD contains HWOT font, which I think is a big mistake on their part because they are missing out on advertising to a huge market. Once I purchased it and realized that HWOT font (& 2 line format) was on the disc I was very happy.

That's great. I didn't see it on their website so good to know!!!

Mendy

There is a page in the middle of the book that has all of the capital letters. I made a couple of copies and we are using it for extra practice before we start on the lower case.

I didn't see a page that has all of the lowercase so I'll probably buy some extra paper for that.