Menu

Math Curricula help 3rd grade

gevs4him

Well I am trying to regroup for next year, rereading WTM rethinging :glare:

We 1st used More Than Counting and Mathematics Activities for homeschooling with Unifex cubes. When ds was 6 we started R&S Arithmetic 1 and now almost finished with R&S 2.

Ds 7 likes R&S, but I am not sure :confused: He does not seem to know his facts - he adds by looking at a calendar or number line or counting something. I am awear that he may still need concrete objects in order to process facts. But, R&S also seems to me not as advanced as other math curricula. He does do all problems given correct and understands concepts taught. I have looked at all of WTM curricula, but I really don't care for them.

Any sugestions??

Thank You

Lisa

Have you considered Math U See, Horizons, or Singapore? I'm afraid I won't be tons of help. We are using Singapore with my 4th gr dd and are very happy with it. I'm using Horizons with my 3rd and 1st gr dds and less happy with it. But it is a good spiral curriculum. I just think my 3rd grader is bored in general with math. :) I'd suggest giving Singapore a try - there are placement tests online (I think Sonlight has some) and normally kids start a level behind. Good luck! :)

You might do a search for Math Mammoth here, there are dozens of recent threads on it.

I think MM would work well to transition a child from using manipulatives to thinking abstractly, because the lessons are written that way. First they illustrate the concept (often using drawings of base ten blocks or dots), then they have the child work problems with pictures, then the child works problems with just numbers. It also includes more practice with math facts and number bonds than some other curricula. I'm not familiar with R&S ~ does it teach "making tens" the way Singapore & MM do? (In other words, to add 17 + 6, you take 3 from the six to make 20, then add the remaining 3.) That can speed up mental math quite a bit.

Jackie

You might do a search for Math Mammoth here, there are dozens of recent threads on it.

I think MM would work well to transition a child from using manipulatives to thinking abstractly, because the lessons are written that way. First they illustrate the concept (often using drawings of base ten blocks or dots), then they have the child work problems with pictures, then the child works problems with just numbers. It also includes more practice with math facts and number bonds than some other curricula. I'm not familiar with R&S ~ does it teach "making tens" the way Singapore & MM do? (In other words, to add 17 + 6, you take 3 from the six to make 20, then add the remaining 3.) That can speed up mental math quite a bit.

Jackie

:iagree:We have been using the blue book for place value and after Horizons, MUS and Abeka DD is finally getting it!

I do LOVE the Abeka speed drills book though. We tried lots of other ways to learn her facts... really. The Abeka TM has you leave the new facts on the board for a few days so that they can look while they get used to them. She has her facts down cold. It is the concepts that Abeka is surprisingly not helping her with.