Menu

Tell me about CHOW

Love2Smile

I think most people either love CHOW or they hate it. We love it here. My 3rd grader begged to go back to it after doing half a year of Story of the World. If you're doing a 1-year or 2-year jaunt through history, it's perfect. It may not give enough depth if you're doing a 4year classical cycle.

Calvert has a workbook/activity guide to go with it if you're looking for comprehension questions, etc.

I think most people either love CHOW or they hate it. We love it here. My 3rd grader begged to go back to it after doing half a year of Story of the World. If you're doing a 1-year or 2-year jaunt through history, it's perfect. It may not give enough depth if you're doing a 4year classical cycle.

Calvert has a workbook/activity guide to go with it if you're looking for comprehension questions, etc.

Do you think it would be too babyish for a 7th grader with little to no history?

We loved it. Especially in conjunction with the interactive CD. We did it in Elementary. I think in your case it would be a nice place to start but for a 7th grader, I would consider supplementing with addl. reading, narration and unit study.

Do you think it would be too babyish for a 7th grader with little to no history?

I think it's a little young for 7th. If I were in your position, I would consider Calvert's old 6th grade text, "Builders of the Old World". (I think the author is Gertrude Hartman.) It's not the text they currently use. It's out of print, but you can find used copies for just a couple of dollars. Then for 8th, do history from 1750-present, with a slightly stronger emphasis on American history.

I do love CHOW, but I probably wouldn't use it with a 7th grader. I might ask her to read it over the summer though...

Well, hmmm.....

We used a bit of CHOW in SL's Core 1 and 2 when my ds was in 2nd and 3rd grades. We didn't care for it. I have often wondered how and why SL uses (or used, perhaps things have changed) CHOW in their Alt 7 Core. In my opinion it is far too simplistic for anyone over 5th grade. How about some Guerber books, or even a history textbook like BJU or ABeka. I think I would even use SOTW over CHOW for that age, and I think SOTW 1 and 2 are quite young for 7th grade as well. There are many history choices available...though my mind is drawing a blank at the moment. :confused::001_smile: Have you looked at all your choices. In other words...is there a specific reason you are considering CHOW?

Wow, this is going to be awful...but we like CHOW. But, if you don't like Charlotte Mason approach - stay away from CHOW. I think you had said before that you didn't like Sonlight - you might not want to use CHOW if that's the case.

It's a storybook approach to history, basically. I've learned all kinds of stuff reading through the chapters with the kids. :tongue_smilie: I think it's probably written right at a good level for older elementary-aged students. There is a lot of violence in CHOW - OK, not like graphic violence, but stories of people being murdered, ancient wars, a lot of stuff about the violent Romans (the Colliseum, Hannibal, etc), the crucifixion of Jesus, the murder of Julius Caesar, etc... I had to stop and reassure my 1st grader that "everything turns out OK in the end". :D Even I couldn't put it down a couple of times.

We actually just finished CHOW for the year and kinda felt sad because my son was really getting into the stories of the Barbarians. :tongue_smilie:

We also use CHOW as a springboard for a lot of our ethics/moral discussions...

My son thought the chapter on Hannibal crossing the Alps with the elephants was awesome, though... :lol:

We're using right now for my 3rd grader and he loves it. I do think it would be too young for 7th grader, since I'm not there yet I don't have any suggestions for you. It gives a good overall picture, we're going to finish it in one year so that he is introduced to all time periods and we'll focus on Canada next year, so not the usual 4 year cycle for us. He really enjoys it and pulls it out for us to read for fun. I like the narrative style but the tone may not be appreciated by an older child.