Menu

When one finishes Apples and Pears spelling,

rafiki

I don't know either. My ds9 is currently on lesson 51 in book C so we will need to cross this bridge in the near future.

My short list of books to check out is:

How to Teach Spelling by Rudginsky

ABCs and All Their Tricks.

Ds9 really needs explicit rules and practice with words he hasn't already memorized. I would love to try All About Spelling but the words are too simple and he wouldn't use the rules to spell the words he would just go from memory. Maybe we could use the rules cards from AAS... Hmm....

My ds9 is currently on lesson 51 in book C so we will need to cross this bridge in the near future.
We started this year at the beginning of book A and are almost done with book B. The Plan is to start C in a couple of weeks and to finish it over the summer. This is what it says in book A about level C: "The objective is to enable the pupil to feel confident writing academic compositions". So my question is for those who have finished level C do you feel like your child reached this objective?

My goal is to get my ds to this point before starting 6th grade next year. My plan is to then spread out level D over the whole year and to focus more on writing. I think I will try to follow the authors instructions but if I feel that my ds needs a more formal approach to spelling after level D, I may have him work through Megawords. I've used it before and have been happy with it with my other children.

Ds9 really needs explicit rules and practice with words he hasn't already memorized. I would love to try All About Spelling but the words are too simple and he wouldn't use the rules to spell the words he would just go from memory. Maybe we could use the rules cards from AAS... Hmm....
Well I've used AAS and before that SWR so I have the rules down. They help me as a teacher to explain things and to give my son reminders but for this ds there are just to many rules for him to remember and apply when spelling. Apples and Pears gives far fewer rules and it's been a much more successful program with this ds. I think I'm a better teacher because I know the phonograms and the rules so the cards may not be a bad idea.

One last thing, I just want to say that I love Apples and Pears and what it's done for the confidence and spelling of my ds. I'm amazed at the progress he's made this past year and if he never goes farther then level D I will be happy. I feel that with spell check he will be just fine.