Menu

WP (American story 1860-2001)or American Culture

kids&me

I am currently looking for a history program for next year.

Has anyone used the WP American story 1860-2001? If so

did you like it, and can you give me any details on what it comes with

besides the books. ( workbooks, geography, any extras ?)

The American Culture looks fabulous too! Any info on either of these would be greatly appreciated. Also, how easy was it to use? This year I had so much going on I just couldn't keep up. I am looking for something easy to use!

Blessings

We've used Winter Promise American Culture this past year and it is fabulous. It is written for 5th-8th graders. We used it with our 5th grade ds. American Story is for 2nd-4th grades so that may help you decide which to use. I would go with the one that fits my oldest child and the younger ones will learn a ton. It's very adaptable.

Most of the books have been found in my local library so I only had to order a few of them. The non- fiction books have all been excellent with a big emphasis on technology and inventions for each time period. We have loved all of the historical fiction books except for The Trouble Begins at 8. We substituted Caddie Woodlawn for it. I used WP book list from their LA 5 for Later American program for books for my son to read on his own.

I did not use the art, geography. and values portion of the program so I did not order these resources:

Later American Painters Picture Studies

Christian Cultural Values for Kids Completer Set of State Study Worksheets

I had my own time-line already that we added to so I did not use theirs.

I wasn't sure if my son would like the two Little House on the Prairie Books but it turned out that he loved them. We got the books on tape and the reader on them is excellent. We ended up listening to the next one in the series as well, which I thought was even better then the other two. Anyway, don’t skip them. The winter of 1888 introduced in the Long Winter is discussed over and over again. It is discussed in the life of George Washington Carver, Theodore Roosevelt, the building of the New York Subway, and the cattle trade, etc. There are activities using the Census Records and Land Deeds for the Ingalls Family. This is a good example of how integrated the program is. Love it. Let me know if you have any more questions.

From your signature, I would take it you have a third grader who will be in fourth grade next year.

I am doing WP Amer Story 2 with a third grade boy this year. It has not been too bad as far as volume, however I have had a hard time getting all the activities done I want to. I think that is my fault not the program's.

The notebooking pages for Amer Story 2 are sort of like a mini textbook. They're very informational. There is an American Achievements package which comes with paper activities like word finds, secret codes, a board game and more.

I have really enjoyed this year as has ds, and I believe he has learned a lot. Since my goal is exposure/familiarity, the Amer Story 2 program has been "just right" for us.

I have noticed the WW2 portion is pretty gentle, meaning there's not as much detail nor as much concern with the Holocaust and other human rights problems as I would like for an older child. Since the program is slated for grades 2-4, I would say it's right on track unless you *want* a more human rights-targeted program. The "home front" topic is covered quite well and with activities in the WW2 Days resource. (we want to make faux whipped cream next week)

The African American focus has taken us from slavery through the civil war and reconstruction, and we are coming up on the civil rights era. There are lots of paper crafts (cuffs, a vest, a medal) and recipes (pink lemonade, taffy) in the African American History spine.

There's even a gold panning kit in this program!

We watched "Sergeant York" in connection with WW1 and it was fantastic.

(suggested video in the instructor guide).

I love it, and easy to use!?? Very much so! I have found that my third grader has been able to read many of the titles on his own (Time Kids Bios for FDR, TR, etc).

Edited by SnowWhite

What are the ages of your children? You might want to consider All American. However, I think both the American Story programs are better suited to younger children.

Woolybear

My son is 9 and going to be in the 4th grade.

How about the geography? Is that laid out well

in the program? Also, my son is very mature and

loves American culture and Politics.

Thank you

My son is 9 and going to be in the 4th grade.

How about the geography? Is that laid out well

in the program? Also, my son is very mature and

loves American culture and Politics.

In American Cultures I didn't buy the state study materials so I’m not sure what they cover. In the lesson plans the state study is optional.

Off the top of my head this is what's covered in the materials that we did buy as far as geography and politics is concerned:

Civil War

Making maps of the Civil War showing Union side, Confederate states, and neutral states, adding major battles to map. Looking at maps to show railroad lines for north and south and how they effected the war. Studying the topography of an area and how it effected major battles.

Reconstruction

Lots of Politics discussed in this section. Radical Republicans trying to get Civil rights for the Blacks. Very interesting.

Western Expansion

Maps of Cattle Trails, Railroads, Indian Wars,etc..

Prarries, Sloughs, other landforms and landmarks like Chimney Rock.

Immigration and Industrialization

Maps of the building of Chicago and New York City are covered from beginnings to the early 1900's. Major landmarks of these area are covered such as parks, subways, museums, hotels, department stores, etc.. Countries and their cultures of the people that immigrated to the United States are covered. Persecution of Immigrants is covered quite extensively as in Chinese in San Francisco, and the Irish in Chicago. Natural Disasters are covered as in the Great Fire in Chicago and the Great Earth Quake in San Francisco.

Early 1900-WW1

Building of Panama Canal-covers the Geography and Politics of this. The making of National Parks. Progressive Moment is covered very well. Maps of the Western Front, Allied Nations, neutral nations. Political Causes of the War. Reasons the US joined the war.

This is as far as we've gotten. I haven't gone back to look through things this is just from memory. I'm sure I'm leaving out stuff. All in all I feel like my son has a better understanding of the geography and Politics of the United States as well as Europe and South America from this Curriculum. If you have any specific questions I can check.

Edited by happymom