Menu

IEW for HS.!!! :o) Any ideas????

Good Morning!!!:seeya:

I really IEW!!!!!

I would like to use these programs for my kiddos for the composition part of their High School credit for English.

Any ideas for me?

How did you use IEW for High School??????

I look forward to hearing from you!!:party:

I am using IEW SWI-C for my 11th grade dd. We went through the program in about a semester. Once we are through with her research paper we will be using the High School Essay Intensive to prep her for the SAT. It has worked wonders for my dd who always struggled with and hated writing. She told me the other day that writing finally makes sense to her. We love the structure of it. I don't get hung up with all the style points. We use them where we feel it makes sense.

I would recommend you join the IEW Families yahoo group. It is a WEALTH of information on all things IEW.

HTH :001_smile:

I'm using regular TWSS. I am simply incorporating essays into all of his work. When he reads something for history - essay. When he reads something for English - essay. Right now, he is doing a unit study on Epic poetry, so he is having to do a "super essay" (read: multi-page paper). Every week, I'm having him do a prompted, timed essay in preparation for the SAT. (I use the essay prompts from Sherri Chekal's History Scholar forms).

When he is a senior, I intend to buy the Advanced Communication Series, but that's it.

He has already done Analytical Grammar. I am incorporating Literary Analysis just by having him read analyses of the works he is reading and learning it that way (eg: he is having to write on Beowulf, so he had to read a high level literary analysis of Beowulf, discuss it with me, and then discuss why he agreed (or didn't) with the conclusions within the paper he is writing). I realize that is not how some people want to teach it, but that is how I was taught in college, so...

a

Anyone use IEW SICC-C?

How did this play out on a weekly basis?:001_smile:

From reading some questions on the IEW Yahoo Families forum, you don't want to use the SICC (any level) until you have completed SWI of the related level. SICC is a full year program which builds on SWI.

Hope this helps!

Joyce

I want to jump in on this too! I just looked at the website, and to a new user it is very confusing. I saw from another thread to do The Elegant Essay, then Teaching the Classics, then Windows to the World. Then on the website, it said (I think) to do TWSS/SWI, then SICC first. We only have 9 weeks left this year, then 11th and 12th grade.

I have a 10th grader. We have done BJU and A Beka, so I don't know where or how to jump in. I don't like the paper assignments in BJU. My son is a graduated homeschooler, and majoring in English. He says we didn't do enough literary analysis and I need to remedy this for the 10th grader. I also need help with papers, knowing what topics to assign, and how to help the process along.

I am using IEW SWI-C for my 11th grade dd. We went through the program in about a semester. Once we are through with her research paper we will be using the High School Essay Intensive to prep her for the SAT. It has worked wonders for my dd who always struggled with and hated writing. She told me the other day that writing finally makes sense to her. We love the structure of it. I don't get hung up with all the style points. We use them where we feel it makes sense.

I would recommend you join the IEW Families yahoo group. It is a WEALTH of information on all things IEW.

HTH :001_smile:

Jumping in here, too. Did you use any of IEW's material's prior to this? If not, what writing experience/curricula had you used? I saw it mentioned on one thread that doing TWSS helps the parent to understand the method, especially the grading. That is my biggest problem.

My dd is doing Jump In right now, and attended a writing class for part of this year. It was really good for her, but no help to me. I did see improvement in her writing from that class.

I'm no expert, but I have used IEW off and on for years and I really love the method. For my upcoming high-schooler (who has already done SWI-A, SICC-A and SICC-B), I am planning on doing The Elegant Essay, The High School Essay Intensive, SICC-C or US History based volume II, and Advanced Communication Series. For Literature, I will have her listen to Teaching the Classics and then Windows to the World.

If you haven't done any IEW program before you should start the high school level with SWI-C then you can pick up on my progression.

If you want an expert opionion, join the IEWFamilies group and ask your questions.

Karen