Menu

What I "think" I like about AP and SAT II subject tests....

I used to be very test shy. Then I got to watch my ds2 go through the Swiss "end of high school" test experience. More than a year later, I saw that he had come out with this body of knowledge across the board that he still seems to have at his fingertips and so I've been re-evaluating the process. Before I was subjecting or was thinking of subjecting ds3 to tests because he had to do them for the Swiss or for university admissions....

Since there is no final multi-subject US high school exam that is equivalent to the Swiss exam, I started thinking about the SAT II and AP tests differently.....

I realize that there are the problems of teaching to a test, the body of knowledge tested, cramming, etc.

At the same time, I think that the final review of a subject can be worthwhile.

Of all my homeschool materials with tests, there are not that many that have a final exam (I actually cannot think of any but wanted wiggle room since my memory is so bad sometimes). A couple have semester exams. This means that unless the student (or parent) is completely self-motivated, there is usually no final synthesizing experience for that subject - no final review or commitment to memory.

So now, while I do not like the "test only" mentality, I do see a place for these exams in terms of preparation for going into the world with a knowledge base that has not just evaporated over the years because it has never been revisited or never really finalized.

While doing tests for all the subjects that are tested in a Swiss "maturite - end high school exam" or a French baccalaureate is probably not really feasible, doing several of them is not so bad...

Ds2 had final exams every year of school which covered all the material studied that year....so maybe that helped too.

How to fit these tests in with the great life experiences that Jane in NC, Nan in Mass, and all you others, get for your students during the high school years is quite another matter that I have not yet figured out (but hope to - it seems more difficult over here for some reason).

I put "think" I like because ds only has one of each so far, so it is somewhat theoretical. I'm just feeling more positive about it.

Just thought I would share these thoughts in case they can help anyone feel more positively about the AP or SAT II requirements for admission to certain schools....

From afar,

Joan

Well that is interesting food for thought, Joan.

I can say that my final exams in grad school often gave me the opportunity to synthesize (and sweat). While I may not admit to enjoying the experience, perhaps I can say that I came out of that crucible with far greater understanding than when I went in.