Menu

Can you download software for two different Canon cameras on the same computer?

We have had a Canon PowerShot S2 IS for a few years and this past Christmas dh bought me a Canon PowerShot SD 1200 IS digital Elph.

I have not been able to download pix from my camera with the software that we already have on the computer for the older Canon. If we load the CD that came with the newer camera will that mess things up with regard to using the old camera. I've been afraid to do this and right now just have a bunch of pix sitting on the memory card of the new camera.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks.

FWIW, I never use the CD's that come with the cameras. If you plug it in when you're online, your computer will grab any drivers it needs.

I have a Canon handycam & I used to have a Canon digital camera (before it broke) and I had no problems using both on one computer. I don't use the Canon photo software though - I use Picasa. I don't think it will matter anyway.

Just plug your new camera in & your pc will figure it out. Pretty much everything is plug & play nowadays. Picasa btw knows which camera took my photos ....

We have had a Canon PowerShot S2 IS for a few years and this past Christmas dh bought me a Canon PowerShot SD 1200 IS digital Elph.

I have not been able to download pix from my camera with the software that we already have on the computer for the older Canon. If we load the CD that came with the newer camera will that mess things up with regard to using the old camera. I've been afraid to do this and right now just have a bunch of pix sitting on the memory card of the new camera.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks.

Does your computer have a card reader? Why not just load them directly from the card into any folder you might want them in?

I'll have to check with dh, but I think he tried this and nothing came up. I could be wrong.

Thanks.

FWIW, I never use the CD's that come with the cameras. If you plug it in when you're online, your computer will grab any drivers it needs.

I have a Canon handycam & I used to have a Canon digital camera (before it broke) and I had no problems using both on one computer. I don't use the Canon photo software though - I use Picasa. I don't think it will matter anyway.

Just plug your new camera in & your pc will figure it out. Pretty much everything is plug & play nowadays. Picasa btw knows which camera took my photos ....

I wish!!! Our computer is a 2005 Dell desktop. Ancient...I guess :-)

You can get one pretty cheap. USB card reader

They come in different types depending on the type of card your camera uses. I've seen some that take several cards, but of course they cost more. You can also install aftermarket internal card readers directly in your desktop (Your older Dell probably has space for it.).

They plug into the usb and bypass your camera's software entirely. I had to get one when my camera (at the time) had the little part where the cable plugs in break. (It bent and I could no longer hook it up to the PC).

Thanks. Will look into this option.

You can get one pretty cheap. USB card reader

They come in different types depending on the type of card your camera uses. I've seen some that take several cards, but of course they cost more. You can also install aftermarket internal card readers directly in your desktop (Your older Dell probably has space for it.).

They plug into the usb and bypass your camera's software entirely. I had to get one when my camera (at the time) had the little part where the cable plugs in break. (It bent and I could no longer hook it up to the PC).

I, too, have never installed the software that came with the camera. Do you have photo management software (like Picasa) installed? Picasa is a free highly-rated product from Google. You can download it and then just suck the photos into it directly. No need for Canon software.

Once Picasa is installed, it should automatically "discover" your camera and let you import the photos. I use three different cameras with my Dell and Picasa, with no problems.

Janet

Thanks Janet. No, I do not have Picasa. I didn't know that it was available for free - will have to check it out.

I, too, have never installed the software that came with the camera. Do you have photo management software (like Picasa) installed? Picasa is a free highly-rated product from Google. You can download it and then just suck the photos into it directly. No need for Canon software.

Once Picasa is installed, it should automatically "discover" your camera and let you import the photos. I use three different cameras with my Dell and Picasa, with no problems.

Janet