Menu

Cub Scout Uniforms

My son received conflicting feedback on the proper way to wear his kerchief. One leader says it belongs over the collar, one says it belongs under the collar. We belong to a local pack, but since they don't do many activities we often tag along with a friend's more active, less local pack. Each pack wears its kerchiefs differently.

We looked it up in his handbook (which doesn't specify a way, but shows the kerchief on TOP of the collar) and then did a general internet search. Our search turned up nothing specific, but the official scout site showed scouts wearing the kerchief UNDER their collars.

Just curious how others wear their kerchiefs, and if there is an official way listed somewhere in some regulation leader's handbook or something. My son is very much a rule-follower, and while he's fine to wear it per each pack's preference ... it drives him crazy to not know the official, regulation way (if such one exists).

Your help will help him sleep at night :D TIA.

In the Cub Scout Leader Book it says:

How to Wear the Neckerchief

1. Fold the long edge over several small flat folds to about 6 inches from the tip of the neckerchief. A tight fold prevents gathering around the neck and is more efficient than rolling or twirling.

2. Place the neckerchief around the neck over the turned under collar of the uniform shirt; or wear under the shirt collar if desired.

3. Draw the neckerchief slide over the ends and adjust to fit snugly. Let the neckerchief ends hang loose.

4. The portion of the neckerchief showing below the back of the neck should measure no more than 6 inches.

So it looks like either way is fine!

I don't think there is an official way. My husband is a district commissioner and he wears his under his collar, as does my son and everyone else we have ever had contact with in scouts for that matter. But we have been just as confused by the picture in the book because it is outside. Honestly, I am pretty sure it doesn't matter. Just go with the flow of whatever troop or pack (didn't pay attention to that, sorry) he is meeting with.