Menu

Mixed Reviews on "Mavis Beacon teaches typing 2009" on Amazon

Macrina

And so I can't decide what to pick? What is everyone using and what's working- what's not? A lot of the review on line say that there are programing errors. I've got to choose from:

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 18

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Deluxe 20

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Platinum 20

Is there an old version I should be looking at instead? I have Vista- so I need it to be compatible. Should I be looking in another direction completely? TIA!

You should check out Typing Instructor for Kids. It is wonderful and my kids liked it lots more than Mavis Beacon. It is geared for the kids rather than a kid friendly adult typing program. There is an older child version of it too called Typing Instructor Platinum that is great too. You can pick these up at Timberdoodle for pretty inexpensive. I think I paid less than $10 for each.

Stacey

Typing Instructor

I agree! We bought Typing Instructor Deluxe from Timberdoodle, oh...probably 10 years ago and all my boys have learned to type with it. We tried Mavis, but they didn't do as well, and they weren't as motivated to use Mavis.

Best $$$ I have ever spent on homeschool supplies.

We've had Mavis Beacon, and it's been fine for my high school age kids to improve speed, but I prefer Typing Instructor for elementary and middle school kids. Tying Instructor is fun, but they still learn. Mavis Beacon is all about business, where as Typing Instructor turns typing into a game and a challenge.

HTH,

Leanna

My dd learned to type using Mavis Beacon. My biggest complaint has to do with software glitches. We had continual problems with the software locking up. It only got worse as she progressed to higher levels. We finally quit using it. Dh got tired of going back and forth to the website for all the "fixes".

Jennifer