Menu

Appropriate Age to Watch Ben Hur?

We just watched it w/our 9 yr old and it was completely suitable. Now if I could remember details....We watched the Greatest Story Ever Told which wasn't as good, but my dd LOVED Ben Hur! Sorry...my mind is old. I know it was a thumbs up! We'll be buying it.

Ah...I love Ben-Hur--one of the all-time greats!

I don't know if a 4 yr old has the attention span for it, though. It's L O N G...... And there are some things that might be "distressing," like the rowers on the ship, the scene after the chariot race where Messala dies, seeing the leprosy. But it does have its glorious moments!

Edited by Sandy in Indy
Ack...I used "its" incorrectly!

During the chariot race, several people are run over by chariots. The antagonist (can't remember his name) is run over and dragged. There is then a scene between Ben-Hur and this man and it is obvious that he is in a lot of pain and badly injured. They are talking of amputating his legs or something like that. It's pretty grisly, IMO. I'd skip that scene if my kids were as young as yours.

Your 7 year old may enjoy it, but I think the 4 year old will be bored.

My 9 y/old watched it this past year and enjoyed it. There are some scenes which could be upsetting, such as the men in chains inside the boat who row as the boat is attacked by another. My child was wondering if they would be able to get out or if they would drown, as they were all in chains. He already knew about the way the boats were manned with slaves or prisoners from listening to Our Island Story.

During the chariot race, several people are run over by chariots. The antagonist (can't remember his name) is run over and dragged. There is then a scene between Ben-Hur and this man and it is obvious that he is in a lot of pain and badly injured. They are talking of amputating his legs or something like that. It's pretty grisly, IMO. I'd skip that scene if my kids were as young as yours.

Your 7 year old may enjoy it, but I think the 4 year old will be bored.

I agree.....If your 7 yr old understands the bible pretty well, really he/she may enjoy it. I agree w/this poster...

:iagree: too!

Other options are The Robe (good one, but haven't seen in a while), Demetrius and the Gladiators (haven't seen yet), Barabbas (haven't seen yet), etc...