Menu

Does CLE 2 assume prior mastery of math facts?????

diaperjoys

I know CLE emphasizes math fact memory in grade 1. So, we're thinking of jumping into CLE in grade 2, and my son isn't fast at his math facts yet. He can do his +0's, +1's, and is working on his +2's. Anything beyond that is not yet mastered. Does CLE grade 2 assume prior mastery of the facts?

We are using CLE 2 and started right after Christmas. I would do the placement test to make sure there aren't other issues, but there is practice of math facts and speed drills of math facts every day in CLE 2. There is quite a bit of addition in the lessons, which not know them would make the lessons take longer. By the second LU there are numerous problems involving 3 digit addition and subtraction without regrouping, but that was introduced in 1st grade.

You could get LU 201 and try it. It is basically review of 1st grade in the form of pre-tests and practice. It does have flash card practice and speed drills every day as well. I highly recommend you get their flash cards if you use the program because they are grouped and coded for the lessons.

I would think if he didn't know many facts, then he would not do well on the speed drills. How would that make him feel? Some kids would be fine, but some would become discouraged. There are 28 problems to do in 2 minutes. The first books are facts up to 10. They slowly are adding in 11 and 12 at the point we are right now, but it is after practicing them for quite a few lessons before doing so.

I hope this helps!

I would also suggest having him take the diagnostic test. CLE introduces some concepts before other curricula may introduce them. If you give the diagnostic test, it will give you a better idea of where to place your child so he doesn't become frustrated & overwhelmed or too bored. The diagnostic tests are available online for free download now.

FWIW, if you do choose to switch to CLE math, I highly recommend getting the CLE add/sub flashcards as they are coded for easy use. It makes my life much easier! :001_smile:

I know CLE emphasizes math fact memory in grade 1. So, we're thinking of jumping into CLE in grade 2, and my son isn't fast at his math facts yet. He can do his +0's, +1's, and is working on his +2's. Anything beyond that is not yet mastered. Does CLE grade 2 assume prior mastery of the facts?

IMHO, if he only knows his +0's, +1's, and is working on his +2's, I'd DEFINITELY start him out at the 100 level. My ds knew almost all his addition facts before we began CLE 100 level. He LOVES his math, and often does 2 lessons per day. (Now that we're more than half way through the program, though, we're slowing down.) I think at this age it's better to build confidence and assure there are no gaps. In my opinion, CLE grade 2 does assume prior mastery of the facts. Although it *reviews* addition very well, the mastery comes at the 100 level. Just my .02.

Good luck! We love CLE math!!

I would have him take the diagnostic test first. But I agree chances are he will most likely jump in somewhere with the 100 level. http://www.clp.org/product/math_100_400_diagnostic_test_1658

I will say that the 200 level continues with fact practice so it really in a sense doesn't rely on mastery of math facts. If he khas mastered the other math topics and all he has to do is continue working on his math facts then yes it would be possible for him to go into 200. But if he has not mastered things like counting money, fractions, telling time to the hour and in five minute increments and so on. By the end of CLE's 100 level they are adding three digit numbers.

Don't worry about the level on the Light Units. They do not pertain as grade levels to homeschoolers as one CLE rep put it. Just go with the leveled Light Unit they place in with the diagnostic tests.

Thanks for all the help! I finally had him take the diagnostic test. And, while he did pass (barely), it was pretty difficult for him to do, and it took him ages to finish. He answered most of the addition problems correctly, even the three column addition, which surprised me. However, he had to make little dots and dashes all over his sheet to figure out the right answers. He understands the concept, but doesn't yet have them memorized. I think I'll place him at about LU 105 and let him get a run at it so he doesn't get too bogged down and frustrated.