Menu

My favorite Teaching Company course is ....

Foundations of Western Civilization II with Robert Bucholz. I'm more than half way through it. Luv it!

I'm enjoying the many courses I bought in Nov./Dec with that awesome sale but Civilization II is my fav!

BTW, My dh is finished with Quantum Mechanics if anyone wants to buy that from us. ;)

Edited by MIch elle
typo

I decided last month that we were all getting burnt out on history so I packed it all up and decided all 4 kids and I would spend the spring on a study of ancient Egypt. I purchased Great Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt during that sale and put together a history plan around it. The kids are loving it! They older two say it is the best history program they have ever done and even my ds5 watches the lectures and colors pictures from a Dover ancient Egypt coloring book. They really like the TC lectures and so do I. It has caused me to re-think our future history plans.

Mich elle, if you bought several sets and plan to resell them through the spring, I am on the lookout for some additional programs. But, I think Quantum Mechanics might be a bit much for us. :D

I decided last month that we were all getting burnt out on history so I packed it all up and decided all 4 kids and I would spend the spring on a study of ancient Egypt. I purchased Great Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt during that sale and put together a history plan around it. The kids are loving it! They older two say it is the best history program they have ever done and even my ds5 watches the lectures and colors pictures from a Dover ancient Egypt coloring book. They really like the TC lectures and so do I. It has caused me to re-think our future history plans.

Mich elle, if you bought several sets and plan to resell them through the spring, I am on the lookout for some additional programs. But, I think Quantum Mechanics might be a bit much for us. :D

Melissa,

That's great to hear!

Quantum Mechanics is a bit much for me too. :tongue_smilie: It's definitely for science geeks. DH is now watching TTC Einstein's Relativity course.

I purchased Great Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt during that sale and put together a history plan around it. The kids are loving it!

We're also doing the Great Pharaohs course now, and it's also our favorite TC course ever ~ I really wish I'd bought the long version (48 lectures)! I have 5 or 6 different courses for Greece & Rome, which we'll start next month, but I doubt they'll be as fun & engaging as Bob Brier's.

Our second favorite course (so far) is Neil DeGrasse Tyson's My Favorite Universe.

Jackie

We're also doing the Great Pharaohs course now, and it's also our favorite TC course ever ~ I really wish I'd bought the long version (48 lectures)! I have 5 or 6 different courses for Greece & Rome, which we'll start next month, but I doubt they'll be as fun & engaging as Bob Brier's.

Our second favorite course (so far) is Neil DeGrasse Tyson's My Favorite Universe.

Jackie

Jackie,

I'd love to hear what you think of the Greece/Rome courses you use. I'm thinking about doing the same for an ancients studies next year - we will begin with Greece in September. The only ones I have right now are Famous Greeks, The Iliad of Homer and The Odyssey of Homer. I'm on the fence with a few others. It would be great to hear how these or any of the others went over for you. Especially since we are both enjoying Bob Brier's course. :)

Nothing to add of any substance, but I did bump up your stars. What is up with that? I wish my DS would find the TC videos fascinating, but I've already returned two entire series for a full refund. (blush) I'm afraid to order any more until I have a new child to try them out on- LOL!

Jackie,

I'd love to hear what you think of the Greece/Rome courses you use. I'm thinking about doing the same for an ancients studies next year - we will begin with Greece in September. The only ones I have right now are Famous Greeks, The Iliad of Homer and The Odyssey of Homer. I'm on the fence with a few others. It would be great to hear how these or any of the others went over for you. Especially since we are both enjoying Bob Brier's course. :)

I just checked my account page to see which courses I own, and it's more than I thought ~ I went a little nuts one day when all their audio/download courses were on sale for $35 each. :tongue_smilie:

DVD courses:

Greece & Rome: An Integrated History

Classical Archaeology of Greece & Rome

Audio courses:

Intro to Greek Philosophy

Greek Legacy

Classical Mythology

Origins of Great Ancient Civilizations

Iliad, Odyssey, & Aeneid courses (Vandiver)

We should be starting Greece next month (my son is reluctant to leave Egypt, LOL); I'll bookmark this thread and come back with reviews once we get into the courses.

Jackie

We're really liking "The Joy of Science", done by Robert Hazen, which we've used this year along with the suggested text, Integrated Science, by Trefil and Hazen. It really gives a good review of everything a person needs to know about science as a non-scientist -- like an all-in-one high school science education. Of course, since we're very science oriented here, we're using it now (with ages 11 and 13) to make sure we know all of the basics before spending the next few years studying individual sciences in real depth.

We're really liking "The Joy of Science", done by Robert Hazen, which we've used this year along with the suggested text, Integrated Science, by Trefil and Hazen. It really gives a good review of everything a person needs to know about science as a non-scientist -- like an all-in-one high school science education. Of course, since we're very science oriented here, we're using it now (with ages 11 and 13) to make sure we know all of the basics before spending the next few years studying individual sciences in real depth.

But I thought he spoke too quickly for my ds.