Menu

Classical composition

mom2abunch

I have seen a lot of talk about Classical Writing. How does it compare with Classical composition. Other than CW having more included than writing what are their differences.

Those of you using CC how is it going?

Any feedback would be great. I am trying to decide between the 2 programs for my 10yo and 8 yo

Thanks

Classical Composition, if I remember correctly from when I researched the options outlined in The Latin-Centered Curriculum, is rather more directly and heavily Christian in its content than CW, and looked more complicated to use, especially for someone with no prior experience with the protogymnasmata.

Given the dearth of Pagan/Heathen Classical curriculum options out there, we prefer to use secular materials.

I looked into CC vs CW awhile back. Like you said, CW includes other aspects of LA: spelling, grammar, & vocabulary. In the later books it will also include application of logic & rhetoric. I'm not sure if CC will do this, I'm guessing it probably will (as I think it is part of the progym) but I don't remember.

One difference that did help me to decide is the explanations. From what I've read CW explains the progym and how to teach it in a clearer, more complete way then CC. There are some here who use CC but I think they have said that they also purchased D'Angelo's book, "Composition in Classical Tradition" to have something to help them understand what is going on in the CC curriculum.

Oh and check the number of levels, there may be a difference in how long it takes to get through the progym.

hth

I agree with Raven.

I looked closely at both of these several years ago, purchased CC: Fable & Cheria/Maxim, to use with my then, 9th grader with much frustration. I knew CC would be too much for my then 8 yo 2nd grader dd, thus, I purchased the CW: Aesop Core/Traditional Tales manual & CW: Homer Core manual. (The workbooks & TMs were not published yet.) Between CW & D'Angelo's text, Composition in the Classical Tradition, the progymnasmata became clearer in methodology and application.

Thus, I applied what I learned from those resources to assist Taz with our last effort using CC. We finally abandoned CC near the end of 10th grade and switched to D'Angelo's text as our main writing program. I added in the exercises from CC & CW that I liked.

For your 8yo, unless an extremely gifted writer, I would go with CW: Aesop A, as CC, according to the author, is usually begun in 4th grade & repeated again in 5th grade.

I prefer CW due to the explanations, schedules, and student workbooks. Prior to the publishing of the workbooks, I spent about 3 hours a week preparing lessons. All, I do now, is look at the next lesson in the TM, read the Core pages, and review the student pages. A task that takes 10-20 minutes.

A good investment as a parent reference, but not necessary is D'Angelo's Composition in the Classical Tradition.

If you want easy on the parent, go with CW as it takes you down the same road as CC, and like others state, touches on spelling, and includes vocabulary & grammar where CC only touches on vocabulary.

I purchased CC Fable before I found CW. You can view samples of the program here: http://www.classicalcomposition.com/ (see the links on the left-hand sidebar)

The first time I looked at it, it was too overwhelming. All of the progymnasmata terms made my head spin. Now that I've done a couple of years of CW, I looked at the Fable level sample again, and I understand the program more, but without any experience in the progymnasmata, I would not teach with this program.

CW does encompass more subjects while CC is strictly writing, but I think CW does a better job of leading you through the progymnasmata without all of the technical terms. I also think CW is a more complete program and ties together the grammar that my boys are learning with the writing that they are doing.

Just a note of caution about D'Angelo's Composition in the Classical Tradition. The samples are not always well written and the content is questionable at best, if not inappropriate.

Chapter one talks about narratives and the assignments at the end want you to expand the following titles:

Woman Escapes Assault

A Man and His Wife Swear an Oath (to take his or her own life...)

Stepdad Arrested in Boy's Death

I have this book as a reference for me, but I will not be using it as a textbook for my boys.