Menu

MCT progression through high school? Any additional books planned?

dancer67

My daughter will start MCT Grqammar Town in September, Gr 6.

So the progession will look like this(I assume)

Gr 7- Voyage

Gr 8- ML1

Gr 9- ML 2

Gr 10- ML 3

Does MCT plan on coming out with any addl high school books, or I am just going to have to use different material for grades 11 and 12?

(I like to think ahead):lol:

Well, here's my plan

7th - Magic Lens I / finish Essay Voyage

8th - Magic Lens II / Academic Writing I

9th - Magic Lens III / Academic Writing I and II

10th - 12th - complete Academic Writing II and III

I don't plan to teach any grammar after 9th grade. Our English at that point is all writing and literature.

Guest Karonne

My 9 y-o daughter is going through the Island series now and loving it - and so am I!

We'll go through all 6 series one year at a time. Then my plan is also to focus on literature and writing. (I'm also like to think ahead) We'll do this with the Great Books Academy great books program. This involves both writing periodic papers and a weekly online discussion. She's now participating in their 4th grade books discussion group and enjoying it. By listening in, I'm learning how a socratic discussion is run.

We are just now starting the Island level, but my thinking for us is similar to the other posters: finish the 6-level series sometime around 9th or 10th grade (depending on if we stretch out any of the later levels), and then focus on literature/classics and academic writing the remaining years of high school, putting into practice what we learned through the MCT materials.

This is Mr. Thompson's response to the Parent Group:

"Greetings all. I am now working on volume three of Advanced Academic Writing; one and two are already in print. After that we have lots of ideas, and I'll have to see which ones come first. I do intend to keep writing as long as I can. I will tell you that we envision entire strands and new grade levels of things."

My 9 y-o daughter is going through the Island series now and loving it - and so am I!

We'll go through all 6 series one year at a time. Then my plan is also to focus on literature and writing. (I'm also like to think ahead) We'll do this with the Great Books Academy great books program. This involves both writing periodic papers and a weekly online discussion. She's now participating in their 4th grade books discussion group and enjoying it. By listening in, I'm learning how a socratic discussion is run.

Do you happen to know if the Great Books Academy requires you to do the listed math and science in each grade level? Can that be done on your own? For example, I plan on using BJU Distance learning for her science.