Menu

Grammar for 9th grade

We started R&S grammar in the 3rd grade, but I start with the 2nd grade book.

Ds will be in the 9th grade next year and will be using the 8th grade book. Can I count that as a credit or do I need to look into using something else?

We cover the writing lightly in R&S. Ds uses Home2Teach for writing.

I am planning on it being one credit....English I

I was planning on using R&S 9 and 10 for 10th and 11th grade, but now I am rethinking this. I am thinking about AG or Easy Grammar.

Like I said, we'll be using Analytical Grammar. However, she'll also be doing a great books study (I have a thread on that on this forum) and continuing her Institute for Excellence in Writing class. I don't think grammar, alone, qualifies for a high school English I credit. You need composition and literature to make up a high school English credit. I'm not sure if this is what you were asking?

Edited by Mrs Mungo

We're using R&S 8 as part of dd's gr 9 English credit (grammar and a bit of the writing.) It is advanced. We're also doing Wordsmith Apprentice, which is grades 7-9. It's the literary component that makes it a fully true high school course. She's reading some books that are on the summer reading list for incoming Sophomores (so if she switches to high school, they'll see those), some great books, such as The Epic of Gilgamesh (to tie in with history,) some Shakespeare, etc.

We started R&S grammar in the 3rd grade, but I start with the 2nd grade book.

Ds will be in the 9th grade next year and will be using the 8th grade book. Can I count that as a credit or do I need to look into using something else?

We cover the writing lightly in R&S. Ds uses Home2Teach for writing.

I would think that Grammar & Composition would count as "English 1" - at least, that is how I understand it from reading WTM, which recommends giving a credit for completing R&S or an equivalent program. The Great Books study receives *another* credit (if, of course, you are studying them for enough hours each week).

That is how I am planning to give credits for my now-9th grader. His "English 1" Credit will include:

IEW Phonetic Zoo (yes, this is needed)

Vocabulary from Classical Roots (B and C this year)

IEW's Grammar Program (Fix-It)

IEW Writing (SWI-C, some TWSS, High School Essay, and Elegant Essay)

Since we had finished R&S-8 last year, and we were still working with spelling and vocabulary, I chose more of a "Grammar Review" program. We spend probably 30 minutes daily on those components, and the writing is another 45 minutes to an hour.

We spend another hour to an hour-and-15-minutes doing our Great Books Study, and I will give him a credit for that as well.

I'm trusting WTM Ch. 39 "Paper Proof: Grades and Record Keeping" for this - p. 662 in the newest edition.

And, you'll be fine using R&S-8. On p 482 of the new WTM, new-comers to the series are advised to use R&S-7 in 9th grade.

hth~

Edited by Rhondabee