Menu

Teaching Textbook Question

Gamom3

I was wondering if you think this curriculum is a good one. I have used TT for Geometry only, thought it was pretty easy and not rigorous. I have wondered how children will do on standardized testing and the SAT using this program.

What are your thoughts?

Just wanted to give your question a bit of "a lift" on the boards! I am also interested in any TT users who tested. Is the program advanced? On target? Below average?

We have used Saxon and Calvert. Calvert is below the California standard. Saxon is too "boring" with busy work (not enough practice on the element learned)....so we are considering TT. I don't want a wimpy program!

Thanks to all!

Moki4:001_smile:

My dc have used TT Alg 1 and 2. Both scored well on the SAT test. DS will use TT Pre-Calc next year.

It **may** not be as rigorous as some other materials BUT it's material that my kids can understand. The most rigorous program gives no benefit if the student cannot learn the material. I am NOT a math teacher, whiz, expert...not math inclined....don't like math. Period. So, TT works for us because it's understandable and semi-affordable.

My dc have used TT Alg 1 and 2. Both scored well on the SAT test. DS will use TT Pre-Calc next year.

It **may** not be as rigorous as some other materials BUT it's material that my kids can understand. The most rigorous program gives no benefit if the student cannot learn the material. I am NOT a math teacher, whiz, expert...not math inclined....don't like math. Period. So, TT works for us because it's understandable and semi-affordable.

:iagree: We are not necessarily math people and this program makes it absolutely do-able for us. We started with Algebra 1 in 8th grade and are basically doing the math a year ahead of time. That works well for us. It may not be "rigorous", but, it's works for us.

Thanks for the feedback. I think we are "very" close to choosing this program. DD (10) is advancing quickly and sometimes I cannot keep up with her (with 4 HS'ers). She is almost finished with saxon algebra 1/2 and doing very well. I really like the video sample they (TT) post online. It is now a matter of hitting the "pay now" button!

Sincerely, Moki4:001_smile:

I'm in the same boat as you. My daughter who just turned 11 is finishing up Saxon 76 and I want to switch to something else for Algebra. I am looking at TT and Video Text. I will be looking at both when I go to a homeschool conference in May. I have heard a lot that TT is not good if you have a really math oriented child who might be majoring in something for college that requires higher levels of math. You might want to search the boards for some feedback.

Janis in DE

It didn't work well for us. Ds had done Singapore PM 1-6 but wasn't ready for algebra. He hated TT. He needed more practice on the new topics and didn't like the way concepts were explained. Switched to Rod&Staff 8 and he did much better. He thought the explanations in R&S were clearer. Maybe it was because some of it was review? :confused:

He's in Lial's Introductory Algebra now and is doing well.

Cinder

I like TT, it meets my requirements, works and is enjoyable. What more could I want?

DD12 and DS10 have more confidence in math than they did with Saxon because they feel they can understand and are "ahead".

It is the only thing I can find that DD9 doesn't fall asleep doing. She'll be doing pre-algebra next year and is very keen as well as mentally ready. But most algebra curricula seem to slog along and are designed for high schoolers, not math inclined 9 year olds.