Menu

Schedule question

Gamom3

I have posted here before about schedules. Next yr. I will only have 2 at home.

This year has been a hard year. Time has been our enemy, the kids take too long to do their work. They are 4th and 6th grade this year.

I tell them next year and every year after that is only going to get harder, so they need to work on getting things done in a timely manner.

I have tried timers, time slots(did not work for us, I even told them that what is left will be done in their free time..when all their friends are home), grounding, getting dad involved and fussing at them..of course this never helps!

I do sit with them the whole time.

I need to come up with a solution to getting them to learn to use their time wisely.

They will have 3 extra subjects next year and I know it's going to be TOUGH!

Dd had a bad day Monday..she only had 3 subjects: R&S Grammar, Abeka Math and Calvert cd spelling(this was not the problem).She worked from 8:30 to 2:30. Today she is not feeling well, but did her 3 subjects in 2 1/2 hrs.

I will not have any hair next year if these bad days continue, like they have this yr. I have spoke with dh about this and told him I feel like I am failing them, due to this time issue. They should NOT be working that long in the day..IMO. My oldest(18) never took this long!

I am planning on doing flashcards with them as soon as they are finished with a subject. I think this might help them..especially in math.

What do you do?

Any advice or suggestions??

I have had lots of problems with kids taking excessive time to do a subject - I think our worst was 2 hours doing 2 review pages of math. I tried something new this week and it has been really working well, so far... I give them copy of all of their work to be done for the week, broken out by days, they select the order that they do it in and even how much. Already, they have done the next days work ahead of schedule (on a couple of subjects only). Would your children benefit from a little freedom to make their own choices? You still pick the work to be done, they pick the order to do it in. Maybe you have already tried this, I suspose with 9 years under your belt, I am probably not suggesting anythig new. Well, I hope something I said helps:001_smile:

I am going to guess, that either 1) You have not been consistent with your consequences or 2) You haven't found their currency yet. That is assuming that there are not any underlying learning difficulties going on. If this is purely a discipline issue, then it's time to get tough, mom! I would really think about what your kids value most- be it social time, screen time, sports time, money, music, whatever. I have one child that would absolutely melt if I took her ipod away. That has become our main punishment for her. Your kids need to start to understand that your time (and theirs) is important. If they waste it, there will be consequences. This will take clear communication- "If this subject is not finished within the hour, you will lose your tv privileges." It will also take consistency on your part. Unfortunately, there is not an easy fix to this. I would sit down and form a plan. Then meet with your kids and lay it out for them. After that, it's up to you to carry it out. I have a girlfriend with 5 kiddos, ages 3-10. When she senses her days are slipping out of her control, she takes a full week of discipline training. Her main goal for that week becomes "resetting" her kids in their problem areas. You may just have to apply that kind of focus in this area. Good luck!

Until this year, that was very true for my DD. I found that if math or grammar or, to a lesser extent, writing went later than 11AM, the day would be shot because it would take so long to finish. It did not matter when we started; 11AM was IT.

So, we started earlier and earlier until she could finish by 11 most days, and that really helped a lot.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try a positive.

I had a rough time getting my kids to do their schoolwork -- threats, punishments, nothing seemed to work.

Then I tried rewards.

it started out as a starburst for every subject completed (extra for working ahead).

We're modifying it to a green disc for every assignment completed (page for the youngers). They can spend their green discs on special priviledges (McDonald's ice cream cone... making cookies with Mom, a "sleepover" in the family room with their choice of movies, mom or dad does a chore for a day... things like that).

So far, it's worked a bit better. Not that there aren't still struggles, but there have been fewer this week (and last week).

I don't know if it will work for yours -- but may be worth a try?

I echo the positive reinforcement idea. I have 2 with some issues and their therapist suggested that to us. Also, pick only 2 behaviors at a time. Now getting school work done isn't one behavior. May I suggest each subject be treated as one instead? So many minutes free time, whatever if math is done in your time frame might be a goal. It is a struggle at times. I feel for you.