Menu

Another...what's this book called question!

You guys are so good at figuring these out....hopefully you can help me!

Back in the 70's (though the book might have been older) I read, and re-read and re-re-read a book but can't remember the title to try to get a copy for my daughter.

It was about a young ballet dancer and she couldn't understand why her mom and disabled aunt didn't like watching her dance on stage. Turned out that mom and aunt were both dancers as young ladies and had their eye on the same guy.....young child's dad it turns out. In a flashback the story was solved that dad was supposed to catch aunt, but just before her steps he glanced into the wings, made eye contact with mom (and they'd secretly become engaged and were planning to tell aunt after the performance)....aunt of course saw this, hesitated in her run/jump, and so their timing was off, dad didn't catch her, she fell into the orchestra pit and was forever disabled.

I know that sounds horribly depressing, but the rest of the story was wonderful in a ballet sense....that was just kinda of the part that was most unusual and so hopefully sticks in someone's mind.

I've tried google searches and amazon but just not found it yet. The dance they performed when the accident happened, I believe, was Swan Lake.

Sound familiar to anyone?

And if not, ya got any great stories where the main character is a ballet dancer?