Menu

Who has listened to SWB's new high school writing lecture? Lit. analysis one, too..

I'm just wondering what you thought, and how these lectures helped you with teaching writing and lit. to your high school child(ren).

Bump...

And, if you know, do the lectures give any help in taking the basic instructions in WTM (read, outline, write) and creating a weekly/daily plan?

(That would be so nice since I have all the books here; I just can't for the life of me figure out how to go from the abstract to the concrete. For example, I just read through the Generalizations chapter in Rulebook for Arguments. There are warnings and tips and such I could see including on an outline. It's easy to understand, and good stuff to know. I just can't think of a single thing in what we're studying in history or science or lit right now that we would apply it to.)

Bump...

And, if you know, do the lectures give any help in taking the basic instructions in WTM (read, outline, write) and creating a weekly/daily plan?

(That would be so nice since I have all the books here; I just can't for the life of me figure out how to go from the abstract to the concrete. For example, I just read through the Generalizations chapter in Rulebook for Arguments. There are warnings and tips and such I could see including on an outline. It's easy to understand, and good stuff to know. I just can't think of a single thing in what we're studying in history or science or lit right now that we would apply it to.)

All I have in my notes about that is: read, outline, do exercise or write paragraph or find paragraph that illustrates the technique being described. I guess writing or finding that paragraph would show that the technique has been understood?

All I have in my notes about that is: read, outline, do exercise or write paragraph or find paragraph that illustrates the technique being described. I guess writing or finding that paragraph would show that the technique has been understood?

That is what I remember from hearing her live. (Kind of thinking out loud here. Sorry!) And, I told myself just to pick a chapter in the book and pretend like it's Rod & Staff, and we're going to apply it across the curriculum just as we've done for the past 4 years in logic stage writing. But, with R&S I had the option, if I couldn't think of a topic right off hand, of using one of their prompts. That gave me freedom to teach/learn the technique right away and then - whenever it seemed to fit naturally into our other subjects - to go back to it and practice it. And, I would just keep recycling through the various types of compositions over and over. I'm certain that is what I need to do with this.

I have designated Spring Break as my "download and listen and study" week, so hopefully by then some others will have something of real substance to post!!!!

I listened to it a couple of weeks ago and found myself reassured that I'm on the right track and found some new ideas as well.

For me, it is helpful to think of rhetoric study as being almost a separate course just as logic is a separate course. The way I interpret it, the reading and writing exercises in a rhetoric study are not the primary focus of an English course, but an exercise to stretch the mind and writing muscles. I hadn't done any rhetoric study with my older son, for a variety of reasons, but just picked up Kane's New Oxford Guide to Writing and will start it with my son in the next week or two -- and continue with it next year. I did not buy the D'Angelo title simply due to its cost, and I'm not worried about skipping the recommended first book as the Kane book does not look daunting at all

To me, the meat of high school writing is those weekly persuasive papers -- getting used to narrowing down a topic and arguing your point clearly and logically. It is the skill that will get you through college. And you aren't just writing about literature, but are writing also about history or science. This is something I've always assigned my kids, and her talk helped me focus on exactly what these kinds of papers should be. I understand what it is I'm doing! I'm planning on having my ds listen to the section of her talk where she goes into details about persuasive papers.

I liked too how she suggested that the research paper be on a topic of interest to the student. It seems obvious, and I've always used my children's interests as a hook to lure them into learning, but it is reassuring to hear it recommended! There is a part of me that thinks school assignments should be like medicine, you don't have to like it but just must do it because it is good for you!

Is there a separate Literary analysis talk??

There is a part of me that thinks school assignments should be like medicine, you don't have to like it but just must do it because it is good for you!

:lol: I know what you mean.

Is there a separate Literary analysis talk??

Yes, and it covers elementary to high school in great detail. Click on the link in my signature.