Menu

What math does a non science major need?

Actually, they'll need to do calculus for business when they get to college, so precalculus should be done in high school. Nothing heavy duty since there is precalc for business/social sciences vs. precalc for science. I'm not a math person, but I think the precalc you want has less emphasis on trig. Check out the course requirements for business majors in any college and you'll see that it's one of the first courses required.

Yolanda

Looking at for a kid that might want an MBA but not a science degree. I am thinking the answer is Algebra1, Algebra 2 and Geometry will do. Any opinions?

Thanks!:)

So if that's a possibility, I'd go through Precalc if you can. That can be done in college too (so it's not the end of the world if you don't get to it), but I wouldn't quit with three years of math unless you have to.

I would add Precalculus to your list. Most undergraduate business degrees require at least one semester of Calculus. Some students who study additional economics courses may also study more math. Further, I would check with colleges that your student may be interested in attending. For example, here in NC, students must have four years of high school mathematics with at least one course above Algebra II in order to apply to schools in the NC public university system.

Many universities require both calculus(for business) and statistics for an undergrad business major. I'd be surprised if an MBA program didn't require statistics.

You might consider doing a semester of college algebra and a semester of intro to statistics, if the thought of trigonometry is unappealing.

We can definitely do precalc. We have the time and I am fine with teaching it. I love the idea of statistics as a dual enrollment. That is a great idea! I would say statistics is the one class I would not want to teach. I loathed statistics.

I'll make sure we get precalc in our plan. We are on track for it so we should be OK.