Menu

Help needed in choosing curr!!

kmhart

I'm newer to homeschooling. I've got a unique situation -- I have 5 kids (6,4,2yotwins,1) and I'm looking for a curriculum for my two older sons. I would really like to use the classical method and have been looking into either Veritas Press or Covenant Home. I don't have the time to pick and choose from different curriculums because I work part time (3 days a week) and I don't need the extra confusion of putting together lesson plans on top of everything else. I would like to have it all laid out for me already. My mom will be helping me with the homeschooling on days that I work (she homeschooled my brother through 8th grade), so I'm not too worried about a heavier loaded curriculum. Has anyone ever used the full curriculums from either company and have any input on it? (I guess I should add that VP uses Saxon Math and Shurley Grammar.) I would really appreciate any advice you have!!! Thanks so much!!!!

Have you considered Sonlight? You could combine both kids in the K core. They have "Newcomer Packages" that put it all together for you if you want it "all" or you can just do the "Core" and add the other subjects as you wish.

(You'd need to individualize reading and math for each child. . . but history, science, read alouds, etc could be done together.)

(Alternatively, you can pick a core, or whatever other curriculum, for your older child and have the little pre-Ker just do some reading stuff and call it pre-K. . . The longer I've hs'ed the more I've come to belive that 4 yos just need to learn how to read. . . and how to behave themselves, lol. . . So, personally, I don't push much other than reading before age 5 or so. . .)

SonLight does a lovely job laying out everything in the schedule, and I have had a tutor/governess/helper 2 days a week for years and also my dh pitches in some days. . . We all stick to the SL schedules and check things off and are able to share duties easily. . . (Even managing 3 kids/2 cores this year).

HTH

We use Sonlight, too. You can do a Core 1 program with your 6 year old if he is in first grade. I agree with the pp about the 4 year old. He can tag along for read alouds and just work on a beginning reading/phonics program if you feel he is ready. I will be starting a relaxed kindy with my 4 year old next August, but she will be 5 in October.

In first grade, with your busy schedule, I wouldn't buy the science or Bible curriculum with the Sonlight package. I think I would buy the Core history and readers, which comes with an instructor's guide that will lay out the schedule for you, choose a math program (the Sonlight site has several and you can read the specs on each and test to see where your son is), choose a handwriting (we use A Reason for Handwriting) and you are pretty much set. We never loved the Sonlight language arts program but my current first grader is loving working through First Language Lessons and loving it. It is simple and scripted and, thus, very easy for a parent (or someone else) to implement.

All the best to you!

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into dakota and sonlight. One reason I was looking into VP is because of the phonics program having some art incorporated in it and my 4yo (5 in july) is very art oriented. I'm trying to go through Teach your Child to Read in 100 Lessons, but he fights me every time. My older son went through it just fine, so I'm not sure where to go with him. Any suggestions?

Have you joined the VP_Elementary yahoo group yet? There you can get feedback on the Scholars lessons. I didn't use PM, but I've used Shurley and a lot of their other recommendations all along. I think the Scholars lessons would do exactly what you're saying, making it no-brainer to implement a solid progression. It's going to make it easy to combine them. They'll actually sit down on the phone with you and work through what to do with each kid to make it as efficient as possible.

Your other option would be to chose things yourself but to pick things that are conducive to just doing the next thing. For instance, WWE, SOTW, any math, lots of these things are just do the next thing.