Menu

Writing skills - What should I teach next?

tiffany k

I'm having trouble choosing a writing curriculum for next year because I'm not sure what goal I'm trying to reach, what exactly I should be teaching next. Ds9 (3rd) and dd8(2nd) have done very well with WWE 2 and 3. They give excellent narrations for WWE passages and the chapter books they read. They are doing better with dictation now that we are further along in All About Spelling. Grammar was a walk in the park with FLL3 and we worked through it quickly. They write 4-5 sentence paragraphs about our history subject each day for copywork. I guess what I mean to say is, everything is working great, so what next? Another year of WWE? WWE 4 looks very similar to WWE 3. Same with FLL 4. I'm concerned that they are getting bored and need to be challenged to take it to the next level. What is the next level? What curriculum am I looking for? What are the skills that narration, copywork and dictation have prepared us to tackle next? Thanks for your help, I feel like a fish out of water!

Many people choose Classical Writing and Rod and Staff, I believe, after WWE and FLL. But there are other options for writing, such as Wordsmith and Writing Strands or IEW. For grammar, we have GWG, MCT, Abeka, Winston, Shurley, etc. It depends on what appeals to you and your philosophy of education, or your goals for your children. In which path are you headed? Do you want to stay strictly with classical writing, or venture into WTM writing with some of Susan’s other recommendations. Lightly mapping out the road ahead may help. Rereading TWTM might help as well. There are many paths to take to get to the same goal, which is rhetoric stage writing and college readiness, or just getting through high school. :)

:lurk5:

This is exactly why I'm scratching my head in wonder. I didn't really have a road mapped out! I used FLL and WWE because that's what was recommended, they are easy to use and understand and my kids have really improved and are doing well. I just hadn't thought about what the next step would be, what we were working towards. My WTM is loaned out, but I'll read up on the logic stage when I get it back and maybe that will clear things up for me. I've looked at Classical Writing and IEW and they are so different from what I learned in school or what my nieces and nephews are learning in public school, I'm just not sure what to make of them. However, I don't think I was really taught a process or progression in writing. My nieces and nephews are required to submit topic papers each week, but there is no attention to grammar or spelling or flow, just the number of sentences on topic. I don't really want to go that route, it doesn't make much sense at all! I suppose it's just another leap of faith. Maybe I'll order CW and MCT and give it a try, seeing as they get such rave reviews here! :001_smile: It wouldn't be the first time I found gems from this board! Thanks for trying to point me in some kind of direction!

Sounds like a plan, although before you jump in, maybe you should look very closely at your choices. Do searches here to see what you can glean, read everything at both the MCT store and the CW website. (MCT might have you tied up for awhile with the search engine. lol.) Make sure you are okay with the fact that MCT doesn’t have lesson plans, and also that you are ready to tackle Homer, with its learning curve. Would your children be interested in the content of Homer? Do you care? Does it really fit your philosophy or would you rather have your children reaching some of those skills sooner than the CW progression?

I do love CW after getting it in my hands and really looking it over, but it’s a huge commitment, and then many end up dropping it after Homer anyway. Just some food for thought. There is also a program called Classical Composition, and another one called The Lost Tools of Writing (for older students). So if you decide against CW, but you still want strong classical writing instruction, you are left with other options! :)

Best wishes with your decision.

Thanks, I'll look at those as well. After glancing at CW, I'm not sure I'm up for the learning curve approach right now, we're expecting a baby in July. So, maybe I'll just stick with WWE, at least we know what we're doing and it is working. Maybe Level 4 is more challenging. My son looked at the MCT Island level and thought it looked better than FLL, but he really hated how repetitive FLL3 was and he'd probably say he liked whatever wasn't FLL4! They both enjoy grammar and writing, I don't want to damage that in any way or drop either all together!

Searching this site for CW and MCT reviews is pretty funny. Curriculum options are like opera, you hate the program or you love it. I'm glad to have options! :001_smile:

I'd purchase and download the Mp3 lectures "A Plan For Teaching Writing" (there are 3, one for each stage). I just purchased the Middle Grades lecture (on a recommendation from Collen in NS), and it's cleared up a lot of questions. Well worth the $3.99.

So, does it have the same content as in the writing CD? Or additional details? I'm sure I could look it up....

Thanks!

I'd purchase and download the Mp3 lectures "A Plan For Teaching Writing" (there are 3, one for each stage). I just purchased the Middle Grades lecture (on a recommendation from Collen in NS), and it's cleared up a lot of questions. Well worth the $3.99.

:iagree:

This is money well spent. I have the CD Writing in the Elementary Grades, and I believe that she even discusses a bit all the way up to high school on this mp3 download. I got it after Colleen's recommendation, and I have been very happy. You can play it over and over if you want, and take notes as you listen. It will really clear things up for you, and possibly keep you from buying more unnecessary writing programs. I have WWE the teacher's guide, and that's all I'm planning on needing for awhile.

So, does it have the same content as in the writing CD? Or additional details? I'm sure I could look it up....

Thanks!

This was a talk given by SWB at the 2009 WTM conference, and it outlines the plan for teaching writing. I think it's different, but haven't ever listened to the Writing Without Fear lecture. The Middle Grades lecture is 50ish minutes, and so it the WWF cd, and since there is an Elementary & High School lecture in addition, it seems it at least goes into a lot more detail....

Hee, hee... laughing at your writing like opera comment! Yes, I have found this too. I've been really researching writing as my oldest ds will be in 4th grade next year. He's doing really well with WWE3. We've used GWG for grammar and that is going well with him also.

I **think** I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to do WWE4 and CW next year. I'll start ds in Aesop B as I think with his solid background A will be too easy. It's only 18 weeks so my plan right now is to do half of WWE4 and Aesop B. We'll probably start by alternating weeks and see how that goes. I'm going to do the same thing with my dd who will be 3rd grade... WWE3/Aesop A.

I think like a pp said, you really need to figure out where you're going with writing. It sounds like CW is slow, but includes many things you may not get with another program if you are really after classical writing instruction.

From what I've heard it's a bit to learn up front, but once you get it down it's okay. Certainly something to consider with a new baby coming!

There's another program I just read a post about comparing it to CW... when I find it I'll let you know... I just can't remember now what the program was called... it might be another option for you...

Thanks!

:iagree:

This is money well spent. I have the CD Writing in the Elementary Grades, and I believe that she even discusses a bit all the way up to high school on this mp3 download. I got it after Colleen's recommendation, and I have been very happy. You can play it over and over if you want, and take notes as you listen. It will really clear things up for you, and possibly keep you from buying more unnecessary writing programs. I have WWE the teacher's guide, and that's all I'm planning on needing for awhile.

This was a talk given by SWB at the 2009 WTM conference, and it outlines the plan for teaching writing. I think it's different, but haven't ever listened to the Writing Without Fear lecture. The Middle Grades lecture is 50ish minutes, and so it the WWF cd, and since there is an Elementary & High School lecture in addition, it seems it at least goes into a lot more detail....

Tiffany, these lectures opened my eyes to a complete overview of teaching writing - I had *many* of your same questions about two years ago, then I went to the conf. last year where these were recorded. They take all the separate writing suggestions in WTM, and condense them into one picture, that flows from one stage to the next. And they made more sense to me than what I could piece together in WTM.

Writing Without Fear is one very general overview of grammar, logic, and very beginning rhetoric stage. The other 3 writing lectures, plus the analysis one, give many more details. WWF is also written out in the first couple of chapters of WWE, and actually, WWE contains more info. that WWF.

I also think these lectures can help a person create his/her own writing plan through the stages, pulling in resources as needed to teach specifics, or it can help him/her to figure out what to look for in a writing program.

Edited by Colleen in NS
got rid of silly "shouting"