Menu

Writing With Ease vs Writing Strands

blessedmom3

Writing With Ease vs Writing Strands

Please compare these for me.

From the samples I see , I would probably like Writing With Ease better but my son likes to do things more independently and it seems Writing Strands would work better for him.

I would like to hear how these two compare. I am looking at level 2&3 .

I've wondered this myself. I see WS and WWE as working on 2 different skills. I wouldn't choose one over the other. Well, that's not true. If I could only do one, I think it would be WWE for 1st-4th grade. From my reading, most skip WS2 and go straight into WS3 or 4. I think copywork, narration, and dictation lays a good foundation for writing in the later grades. And you can address grammar and spelling.

I am planning to combine WWE 3 and WS 3 in 3rd grade. Like a previous poster mentioned, I think that they address separate skills. (And just for good measure, I plan to throw in some Imitation in Writing, too.)

If I had to choose one, WWE or WS, for 1st-4th, I'd choose WWE. There is plenty of time for building expository writing skills after getting a solid foundation in copywork, narration, and dictation.

Tara

We use both and it has worked out really well. We are using WWE 3 and level 3 of WS. For the most part I tweak WS so that the process isn't as drawn out and will finish an assignment in a couple of days rather than taking a week. My kids are also older so I have found this easy to do...not sure how well it would work with younger ages. I like using both programs because it mixes it up a bit. In fact, the kids get pretty excited when they see WS after a few days of WWE. I think it is because WS allows for much more self-expression.

Lesley

I've wondered this myself. I see WS and WWE as working on 2 different skills. I wouldn't choose one over the other. Well, that's not true. If I could only do one, I think it would be WWE for 1st-4th grade. From my reading, most skip WS2 and go straight into WS3 or 4. I think copywork, narration, and dictation lays a good foundation for writing in the later grades. And you can address grammar and spelling.

:iagree:

We get very frustrated over the length of the dictations about half way through WWE 2. Then they just get longer as the WWE levels progress. I have to say that I disagree with the length of the passages. there is no possible way for an ADULT to remember an entire paragraph that was read to them 2 times and then write it down without any helps which is what the child is supposed to be able to do by the end of the levels. BUT I do like how they teach the child to summarize and give a concise but relevant narration. I don't think there is enough copywork either, I think the child should copy something EVERY DAY until 3rd grade or so and then proceed into dictation. If we were to continue to use WWE past level 2 I would probably use the narration part as is, but switch the dictations so they aren't so long!

• 1 month later...
We use both and it has worked out really well. We are using WWE 3 and level 3 of WS. For the most part I tweak WS so that the process isn't as drawn out and will finish an assignment in a couple of days rather than taking a week. My kids are also older so I have found this easy to do...not sure how well it would work with younger ages. I like using both programs because it mixes it up a bit. In fact, the kids get pretty excited when they see WS after a few days of WWE. I think it is because WS allows for much more self-expression.

Lesley

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

• 2 years later...

I am starting classical education for the first time w/ my 3rd and 7th grade girls. Should I use WWE or WS? Which level/book should I start with for each being neither of them has done either curriculum before?

HELP!!:bigear:

Lesley

:iagree:

This is what we do. I like both and both address different needs, abilities, theories. We struggled with writing curricula for awhile. We have finally found a great mesh, WWE and WS, we started with WS 3 and we are finishing up WWE2 actually, my DS just began 3rd.

HTH