Menu

Where to go after FLL4?

susie in tx

Which Rod and Staff? I have Level 5, but they are inexpensive enough that I could probably get another level. I don't necessarily get through the grammar every year, so it's good to have something thorough. LOL

R&S 5 is perfect for following FLL 4. :)

Because of this thread I looked at both R&S and CLE yesterday. R&S looked excellent: thorough, and the writing instruction seemed good. A friend and I were looking at CLE at the same time. I was very surprised at what passed for 5th grade in CLE. My second grader is working on the same things in Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons and KISS 2nd grade. My friend said that she thought CLE5 looked equivalent to first grade grammar. I'm not trying to dis anyone who likes CLE. I'm just surprised because I hear a lot about CLE and it looked very lightweight to me, and I never considered myself to be a hardcore grammar nerd. (I looked at samples for five of the 5th grade light units.)

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

My friend said that she thought CLE5 looked equivalent to first grade grammar. I'm not trying to dis anyone who likes CLE. I'm just surprised because I hear a lot about CLE and it looked very lightweight to me, and I never considered myself to be a hardcore grammar nerd. (I looked at samples for five of the 5th grade light units.)

Tara

This really surprises me. I don't have time to analyze both programs right now, but I can't imagine a 1st or 2nd grader doing what my 5th grader is doing: writing outlines, deciding whether a prepositional phrase is acting as an adjective or adverb, constructing diagrams of complex sentences, writing a bibliography....

After more closely analyzing CLE, I do think there are appropriate new 5th grade level concepts introduced, and there is A LOT of review. Maybe that's what you find below level? I would say that CLE prescribes to the "overteaching" philosophy described in a recent thread. There is a lot of drill over familiar subjects, while becoming more complex in content. (ie- finding adverbs, which can become more tricky with sentence complexity.) I am using CLE to fill a gap between FLL (which I love) and AG (which I have used successfully with 2 dc). I also think CLE 5 will prepare my dc for AG.

As for the "overteaching", CLE may appeal to me right now for my 5th dc because I am so tired of kids looking at me with a puzzled expression in junior high and saying. "I don't know." to SIMPLE grammar questions you KNOW they knew 2 years ago....:tongue_smilie:

In answer to the OP, however, I found that CLE 5 was right on par following FLL4.

Leanna

and there is A LOT of review. Maybe that's what you find below level?

Perhaps it is. As I perused the samples, I felt that the bulk of it was stuff my second grader is already working on, with not a whole lot of introduction of new material. Maybe it's just the samples they have up. Maybe if I saw the entire progression I would feel differently. I was just very surprised to see, for examples, many exercises on underlining the subject and verb in a sentence, or choosing the correct tense of a verb or subject/verb agreement. I guess I thought that by 5th grade that stuff would be such old hat that it didn't need a lot of review.

Tara

. I was just very surprised to see, for examples, many exercises on underlining the subject and verb in a sentence, or choosing the correct tense of a verb or subject/verb agreement. I guess I thought that by 5th grade that stuff would be such old hat that it didn't need a lot of review.

Tara

Unfortunately, I have several kids who, despite doing Abeka (ala WTM suggestions) for 6 years, still struggled with some of these concepts as sentences became more complex. It frustrates me to no end!!

I do see what you are saying about the simplicity of the review.....and I have learned the hard way that some kids still need it! CLE would have been too much review for 2 of my older dc, and exactly what 2 others needed. :)

But then, FLL would have been too easy for 2 of my kids....

Leanna