Menu

Sonlight science users ??

Katiebug_1976

We are using Sonlight Science 2 and Sonlight Science 4 this year and each week's experiments line up with what the boys are learning that week. I believe Sonlight redesigned all of the science programs last year.

This is our first year of Sonlight Science. We are on week 24 and we LOVE it. Both boys think this is the best year of science *ever*. :-)

Edited by Heather in WI

We are using SL Science 1 this year and it doesn't line up at all. We spent the first half of the year studying animals and all of our experiments were on magnets and water. The experiments all did build on one another though...and we did some cool stuff, like building a solenoid one week and then using it the next week...

I'm quite pleased with it, but we won't use it next year. SL 1 has been OK (so far at least!) for us to use secularly, but SL 2 isn't.

We are using SL Science 1 this year and it doesn't line up at all. We spent the first half of the year studying animals and all of our experiments were on magnets and water. The experiments all did build on one another though...and we did some cool stuff, like building a solenoid one week and then using it the next week...

I'm quite pleased with it, but we won't use it next year. SL 1 has been OK (so far at least!) for us to use secularly, but SL 2 isn't.

I'm curious to know if you are using an older version (before 2009)?

This is my 1st year using SL Science. We're on Sci 2 (the 2009 version) and the DVD lines up great with what we're studying. It's also been very easy to use secularly. I just ignore most of the IG notes and I'll drop the last book (Dinosaur Mystery and the Bible).

I'll be watching to see what others' experiences are with different levels.

The SL 1 2009 does not line up - you do study animals for the first quarter or longer (we got tired of the animals so we are skipping ahead) and on Thursdays you watch the DVD and do the experiments - all on magnets and then eventually you switch into water. Actually it is a nice respite from the animals to focus on something different each week - it does line up in that you are studying magnets over the weeks and then into water rather than magnets one week, water the next. I really like the question sheets, mapping, etc. because it gradually progresses in difficulty over the year rather than the same week to week. I do like the variety given throughout the week and my two youngers enjoy this, obviously there are children that would do better with a different layout or approach.