Menu

Is there a "workbook" that lines up with OPGTR?

JeneralMom

My children are really enjoying OPGTR, but my eldest asked me today why he doesn't have any fun worksheets to do like he did when he was in school. I knew this was going to happen because he adores worksheets always has, always will), but my others could either take 'em or leave 'em. So, I guess my question is, is there a workbook/worksheets that line up well with the sequence in OPGTR? Or, am I going to have to search through the myriad of online individual worksheets and see if there is something good? I have looked at several and have bookmarked them in case I can't find a "workbook" but several seem to have a jumble of short-a and short-e, etc. on the same page.

Would ETC work if we just did the worksheets? I have never looked at it, but have heard good things - I am not looking to change because the kids finally like a reading program (hated 100 Easy Lessons, and tolerated Phonics Pathways, but ask to do OPGTR)

Guest aquiverfull

Do you like the Primary phonics? I looked at it a few weeks ago and liked what I saw. I have used ETC in the past. Have you ever used ETC? Why did you choose Primary Phonics over it? Thanks!

MCP Plaid Phonics could work, though it doesn't go exactly in the order of OPG. You'd have to find the pages that would work with the lesson. I have level 2 and was going to do this, but never got around to it. Since I also so AAS with my dd, I felt like it was overkill. Cathy Duffy recommends these workbooks, and they are quite colorful and "fun" for workbooks. They are pretty inexpensive (I got mine on Ebay for a good price).

Before I switched to OPG, I was using Bob Jones Phonics, and their workbook pages can also work pretty well with OPG (we've used a few now & then when my dd was in a rare workbook mood) but you do have to search through to find which ones to use when since again they are teaching the phonics in a different arragement. Last week when we hit R changed vowels, I pulled out some of the Bob Jones phonics stuff with Bossy R which my dd enjoyed.

Edited by monalisa
correction

Do you like the Primary phonics? I looked at it a few weeks ago and liked what I saw. I have used ETC in the past. Have you ever used ETC? Why did you choose Primary Phonics over it? Thanks!

I don't remember why I chose Primary Phonics. :D I got them several years ago when my oldest was in K, but he didn't need them. I recently got them back out for my middle who still struggles with reading. I never looked at ETC.

Guest aquiverfull
I don't remember why I chose Primary Phonics. :D I got them several years ago when my oldest was in K, but he didn't need them. I recently got them back out for my middle who still struggles with reading. I never looked at ETC.

Thanks!

I use several workbook type programs along with OPGTR with ds6. He loves MCP plaid phonics(as did my older kids) and tolerates ETC. I do not even attempt to make them line up, we just do the next thing in each book, so sometimes it works mainly as a review of what we are doing in OPGTR. I also use Jolly phonics with him, right now it is just 1 worksheet with each letter/digraph sound, but there is workbooks, readers etc that go along with it. I am not going to use the workbooks, but am ordering the readers soon, to add another dimension to our phonics lessons.