Menu

Does this story ring a bell for anyone?

Years ago, I remember reading or hearing about a story of a disfigured firefighter. He was recovering in a room with another disfigured firefighter, and they are both waiting to see their significant others for the first time since their injuries. One of the wives comes in the room and is shocked and horrified. She leaves. The second fellow is waiting for his wife, with understandable trepidation. She arrives and covers him with kisses.

I may have the details completely wrong about this, but the overall message made a huge impression on me as a young person. It may have even been a true story. Source, anyone?

My memory just ain't what it used to be!

He spoke at several school assemblies and church functions when I was a kid.

Kim

He was hit by a phosphorus grenade in Vietnam. The medics thought he was dead and one of them about had a heart attack when Davey made a noise. When he had surgery and air hit his chest, the phosphorus in his chest burst into flame.

When he got back to the States and his wife came to the hospital to see him, he told her she could have a divorce because he was ugly now. She responded by telling him he was already ugly before, so this doesn't change a thing. I love that part of his story!

http://www.squidoo.com/Dave-Roever

This man I met, when my dad and he were speaking together?? It was when i was quite young. :-) I remember him saying that he just didn't want them to push his dog tags into his mouth because he was alive... but they couldn't tell. (The push them in the gums?? so that the soldier is identified more easily??)

Carrie:-)

Edited by NayfiesMama