Menu

Are You a Curriculum Junkie?

TKDmom

Are You a Curriculum Junkie?  

1. 1. Are You a Curriculum Junkie?

• Yes, I'm always looking for the newest, best program.
    • No, I've picked my programs and I only look around if something is obviously not working for us.
    • Obligatory Other

I'm a junkie but I'm not always searching for the newest or best....just what works!!

I'm a reformed junkie. :) So I chose other. I like to look (and drool) at some of the new stuff, but I won't change unless what we're using isn't working.

:iagree: I LOVE looking and being informed on what's available, but I only change when what we have isn't working. I've been here on the boards a LOT lately, and doing a lot of research, since my dd's heading into highschool next year.

Each of my 3 have been so different that, except for when we all used SOTW together in gradeschool, there's been no one, set program that works for all of them. So each year, with the kids help, I review how the year went, what went well and what didn't, wht was liked and not liked, etc. Then, I look at the areas that need a change, and leave the others alone! :001_smile:

Edited by Brindee

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted "no". I enjoy looking at other programs, but only buy if something's not working for us. After our first year when I overspent our budget trying to find something that didn't reduce my daughter to tears, I'm sticking with what works.

I did have a curriculum junkie moment a few months ago - I bought MCT, despite our LA program being a good fit for us. Grammar Town wasn't a good fit, but I'm hoping that we can use the other parts of the program.

I voted "other" - I was a junkie in that I would buy the latest and greatest out there, but I was also trying to find our path and what worked. Now that we are good to go on the LCC/WTM path (though I do not use most all of their actual curriculum recommendations), I am pretty set in what we use. I am constantly window shopping and occasionally buy (I just bought Junior English 1 from Galore Park today as a supplement), but overall, like the publishers and materials that we are using, and plan on using them for all three kids as we go (so really, it's only for ds#1 that I am still a mild junkie! :D ). Now I just need to weed through prior junkie purchases that did not work for us, and start selling them.