Menu

Latin?

momto2Cs

Whic Latin program would YOU recommend?  

1. 1. Whic Latin program would YOU recommend?

• Minimus
    • Lively Latin
    • Rosetta Stone
    • Getting Started With Latin
    • Song School Latin
    • Prima Latina
    • Latin for Children
    • Other - please do explain

Trying to figure out if I want to add Latin in for next year, for a 2nd grader and 4th grader. I am looking for a program that does not require tons of planning, etc. on my part. My poll probably isn't very complete, so feel free to make suggestions!

ETA: No, I have no previous Latin experience, so I'll be learning right along with them!

Edited by momto2Cs

I use Latin's Not So Tough. It works well for younger or older students who want to self-pace or do independent study. It moves slowly in the beginning with much practice. We started in 8th Grade and at this point in 9th Grade we are ending Level 4. We will finish Level 5 and 6 before the end of this year or perhaps in the summer. I taught Latin in upper elementary and middle school for years but this program moves so slowly and is geared to someone who doesn't know Latin that it would work for even a 2nd or 3rd Grader. It is a bit pricey but we will pass down to four grandchildren that are homeschooled. Fourth grade and up could probably do it alone with supervision and review. The flashcards are pre-printed and the student must do flashcards each night and they are held accountable for doing them. The lessons are practice with translation eased in a little at a time. I add conjugation and declension practice sheets for extra practice of new nouns and verbs but we stick with the curriculum and it has worked fine for my dgd. We do add derivatives also to make the Latin more meaningful. We have a Latin wall we can write Latin phrases we hear or encounter in everyday life. That adds some current relativity to a "dead" language to show it is truly not "dead" but living in 50-75% of our language. My best tool is a laminated poster of a dictionary page that shows words derived from Latin in red and Greek in blue which covers more than 80% of the dictionary page. I don't know if you can still order it. I had it from my classroom days of teaching Latin.

I know this is not the most popular Latin program for this forum but it works for us and we will have all the tools we need for reading and translating classic literature when we finish Level 6. We plan to continue with translation throughout high school with other emphasis as needed.

I vote for Minimus; I agree that SSL would be fine for a 2nd grader, but a 4th grader may feel that it is below him--or maybe not? I think Minimus would have appeal for both and it is gentle enough for a teacher with no Latin background. Do get the teacher's manual and CD; the tm is pricey, (I got mine used) but it has great resale value.

Trying to figure out if I want to add Latin in for next year, for a 2nd grader and 4th grader. I am looking for a program that does not require tons of planning, etc. on my part. My poll probably isn't very complete, so feel free to make suggestions!

ETA: No, I have no previous Latin experience, so I'll be learning right along with them!

Like you, I had no Latin experience. I found Latin for Children to be a great way for us both to learn, and it required no planning on my part. Just pop in the dvd, watch it, and get to work in the workbook or activity book.