Menu

Shurley grammar question

heart'sjoy

Well I'd do 6 or 7, not 5. Look at the scope & sequence, and you'll see why you'd do 6, not 5. Personally, I'd suggest you do the 6 and save 7 for 6th grade. My dd has done Shurley all along, and I think, given how well she understood stuff, that we could have gone ahead into 7. She wanted a light year, so we did 6 and were happy. Things really step up in 7, with the reading level, the sentence complexity, the quantity of stuff covered. I think a dc who has never done the method before might be happier doing the gr 6 book and then going on into 7 after that. It will give you double reinforcement and extra time on the basics so things really stick. Besides, there is no rush. After you finish the Shurley 7 you're gonna thunk yourself and ask what next. :)

I finally got to pick up level 7 and six.

7 has the material I want to cover/ similar to the type of sentences we're writing in papers.

But, I'll have to weigh in the hive's advice about what would be overkill on dd. And I will need to look at the longer term picture of grammar.

You've given food for thought. Actual content is not the only thing to consider.:)

Well I don't think it's a problem per se to do 7. I wanted to this year, and my dd just asked for a light year. The other thought is to go ahead and do the 6 but quickly. Have you done any diagramming? 6 didn't take us long at all this year. We did a page a day (3 lessons) and usually diagrammed on a whiteboard one sentence from each set. The other stuff like vocab, conventions, s/v agreement, etc. we did orally. I use the practice booklet, the one that has the sentences all typed out.