Menu

Questions on specific Teaching Company courses

Is there anywhere on the website where TC lists the essential works that go with each course? I couldn't find that information anywhere.

If you own any of the following sets - would you be so kind as to list the essential works listed for the course? (Not what parts and page numbers or readings specific to one lecture - just the main works used through large portions of the course.) Or any essential works you used for the below courses in place of those listed on the syllabus.

Origin of Civilization - MacEachern

Great Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt - Brier

Long Shadow of the Ancient Greek World - Worthington

Religion in the Ancient Mediterranean World - Holland

Before 1776: Life in the American Colonies - Allison

How the Earth Works - Wysession

I'd appreciate all opinions on any of the above courses as well. It is time to narrow down our selections.

Thank you!

How the Earth Works has many different works recommended. Almost all of them are for only one class. I am using it without extra books but as an addition to other work we have done and will do.

:iagree:

There isn't a single "spine" recommended for this course, just lots of separate books on different topics. I actually bought the complete transcript for that course (4 volumes!) so I would have something equivalent to a text that DS can highlight, take notes in, etc. The other Geology course, The Nature of Earth by John Renton, uses Renton's text Planet Earth.

When you purchase a course you get a link to a list of recommended resources for the course. I don't know why they don't make them available before purchase, because I think that would help people make a decision one way or the other. I don't think I have any of the other courses you're interested in, so I can't help you there, but hopefully someone else does and can post the suggested books for you.

Jackie

Thanks for the information. I sent Teaching Company an email a couple days ago, but haven't heard back. I think I will try calling them. I looked at the Nature of Earth - I like that it has a text to accompany it, but I think the focus is too narrow for us. I like the broader range of topics in How the Earth Works.

I just ordered Origin of Civilization and The Great Pharoahs, so I was able to look at the lists of recommended reading.

There are 10 books for Civilization, 8 of which cover individual civilizations (Catal Hoyuk, Mesopotamia, Egypt, China, Maya, Inca, Africa, Indus valley). The two general books are Fagan & Scarre's Ancient Civilizations and Yoffee's Myths of the Archaic State.*

For the Pharaohs course, there are recommended biographies for Akhenaten, Ramses II, Cleopatra, Alexander, and Hatshepsut. No general books.

HTH,

Jackie

ETA: I just looked these 2 books up on Amazon, and they got awful reviews :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Corraleno

Thanks for the information Corraleno! That has been very helpful. I would love to hear what you think of the Origins of Civilization course once you get started.

I think we are going to go with Religion in the Ancient Mediterranean World instead. Since it doesn't cover the Far East at all, I will likely add Religions of the Axial Age as well.