Menu

I think I have a gifted writer on my hands

My daughter is 10, 4th grade. She has always been creative and has enjoyed writing her creations down for years. She has used Classical Writing for two years. This year she has really "taken off" in her writing and has gone beyond creativity, clearly well beyond her grade level.

So what can I do with her to encourage her love of writing? I will continue using a writing program, but I would like to go beyond that. Are there writing clubs or other outlets for children that I am missing? I was thinking of calling the children's librarian or even Barnes & Noble children's department to see if they could help. What do you think?

Every November is National Novel Writing Month (or NANO for short). I would encourage you to let her do this. My son did it last Nov and not only successfully completed a novel but it's being printed now! He is a very gifted writer as well and any competition just helps him explore his style more. I will be watching this thread for more ideas as I'm sure there are plenty, that's just the one thing we started to encourage my son more. Nothing like seeing your own story in print to inspire you!

This will perhaps seem weird or contrary, but I'd let her keep going at her own pace and wait until SHE expresses a desire to join a group or otherwise vary from what she's doing. We are being encouraged to think of writing as a group activity these days: to think of kids sharing stories, responding to each other's work in writers' workshops, "publishing" their work in one form or another. We're also encouraged to think of helping our kids by changing what they do: to move from their independent explorations to something more formal and structured, more public, etc.

For some people this is fine. Throughout history there have been some writers who thrive on such an atmosphere. My absolute favorite story is about Samuel Richardson, who write in the mid 1700s. He would write out (by hand) his MILLION WORD novel "Clarissa" in multiple copies and send pages out to his friends so they could insert their reactions and comments; he was very concerned that women readers would find his villain too appealing or criticize his heroine, and he wanted to be able to control that by continual rewriting. He kept rewriting an earlier novel, "Pamela," until he died. Some readers wrote their own endings to his novels! Authors like these are the collaborative ones.

Other writers worked in privacy all their lives, and there are writers today whose manuscripts never see a reader until it all goes off to the editor to be published. These writers thrive on secrecy and privacy or on sharing their work only with one or two intimate friends or relations, people they know best. Except for writers who lived in big cities (and this was a minority until very recently), this has been the main historical pattern.

And of course there are writers for whom different writing environments or practices shift over the course of their writing.

I'd suggest you observe your daughter -- where she writes, how often and with whom she shares, what she expresses a desire to do with her writing. Tell her about different ways that people like to write and ask what she thinks about what would be best for her.

The reason I suggest caution in anyone's approach to a child's love of writing comes from a very sad story in a book by a professor who teaches writing in New York City schools; she has made a whole curriculum and theory of writing in the schools that is centered on kids doing writer workshops and sharing all their work. She talks about one third-grader who became completely blocked up, couldn't write at all. Yet when she spoke to the girl's parents she found this child was writing at night under the blankets with a flashlight, filling notebook after notebook. The kid desperately wanted what she perceived as a safe, private writerly world of her own. She just couldn't handle having her writing made constantly, unremittingly public. And by the way, the professor tells this story in a strangely unsympathetic way; she seems to think the writing under the blankets is cute rather than a protest against the way an adult took over her writing world with an insistence that it be done publicly.

Ever since I read this story I have backed way off my daughter's writing. If she wants writing to be social she will ask me to be involved, to do some project with her. I read stories about writers to her (there are several kids' picture books about the Bronte sisters, for instance) occasionally. We've been to several book signings and launchings at local bookstores. This is a great way to introduce a child to the larger world of authorship without having it be a nudge to shape their own work in any way; it's just sharing pleasure in a writer they enjoy having a new book come out -- the child is there as a reader, but gets to see another side of authorship.

You will definitely know if your child is a social writer -- she will be asking for readers, wondering who else likes to write, wanting to collaborate with others. If those signs are there you don't need to worry about violating her need for independent, private exploration. I am just coming at the issue from the other side.

What about seeing if she'd be interested in submitting some of her writings for different children's publications? She might think it is fun to get recognized or even paid, in some instances, for her work. I know I have information somewhere on places children can get published but we recently moved and I have no idea what box it is in at this point. I am sure you could find ideas if you did a websearch.

Every November is National Novel Writing Month (or NANO for short). I would encourage you to let her do this. My son did it last Nov and not only successfully completed a novel but it's being printed now! He is a very gifted writer as well and any competition just helps him explore his style more. I will be watching this thread for more ideas as I'm sure there are plenty, that's just the one thing we started to encourage my son more. Nothing like seeing your own story in print to inspire you!

I see you have IEW listed for your son:) Have you found it helpful to him or a hindrance to his own style? Also have you used the The TWSS and SWI or SICC? I appreciate any feedback:)

I see you have IEW listed for your son:) Have you found it helpful to him or a hindrance to his own style? Also have you used the The TWSS and SWI or SICC? I appreciate any feedback:)

I think IEW has helped him understand the need for following a logical sequence and writing in a way that makes it easy for others to read.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what all those other initials mean. Probably something I should know eh? :confused:

We used create space to get a proof copy of my sons book. He just got it today and now we're trying to decide if we want to let him self-publish. It is truly a thrill to have a copy of your own book in your hands, whether he gets published or not he will never forget this day!

I think IEW has helped him understand the need for following a logical sequence and writing in a way that makes it easy for others to read.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what all those other initials mean. Probably something I should know eh? :confused:

We used create space to get a proof copy of my sons book. He just got it today and now we're trying to decide if we want to let him self-publish. It is truly a thrill to have a copy of your own book in your hands, whether he gets published or not he will never forget this day!

The TWSS, SICC, etc. are DVDs put out by IEW to teach the parents and student all of the ins ans outs of IEW.

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/catalog/writing

Did you use an IEW book which would be cheaper:)

I appreciate any info:)

His IEW class is taught in co-op but they only use a book. The teacher used IEW for her own children (homeschooling) so she may have used DVDs and such before teaching our class, and only the book in class. But since I'm not teaching it myself it's hard to know if the book is enough. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful!