Menu

This week's warm and fuzzy moments..

Jane in NC, you know we love you for your optimism so I will attempt to rise to your challenge:

"At times like this the Old Optimist wishes to remind everyone to make a list of accomplishments--focusing on that which has not been done is overwhelmingly depressing. So turn the tables. I challenge you to share three warm and fuzzy moments from your week."

1. Report cards came for the oldest two. For the first time in her high school career, my dd is happy with her grades. Better yet, she was able to apply what she has learned in counseling and tamed the anxiety monster enough to make it work for her instead of against her during finals.

2. The physical therapist says there is no lasting damage to Swimmer Dude's shoulder and he will be stronger than ever as long as we stick to the program.

3. Swimmer Dude still blows me kisses and waves when I drop him off for practice. :D

This week:

1. My 11th grade son got an A on a really hard midterm at the Computer Networking Academy class he takes at the career center. Most of the other kids (all public schooled) got a C or worse.

2. My 10th grade daughter and I get along pretty well most of the time. Two years ago we lived in what felt like a state of constant and open warfare. I'm so glad we kept homeschooling in spite of it. Persevering has paid off in increasingly positive relationships between her and the rest of the family.

3. At 15 and almost 17, my kids are becoming people I like being around.

Jane in NC, you know we love you for your optimism so I will attempt to rise to your challenge:

"At times like this the Old Optimist wishes to remind everyone to make a list of accomplishments--focusing on that which has not been done is overwhelmingly depressing. So turn the tables. I challenge you to share three warm and fuzzy moments from your week."

My warm and fuzzies this week:

Finding out for sure that my DS is really learning Latin without me, and that I really can trust him to use the Answer Key as an aid, and not cheat. With some of the hub-bub about online classes being weak and such, I was worried I had let go and given him too much responsibility. But, he really does know his stuff! And, Big Kudos to him for not being tied to the Grammar Book like his mom. (I *so* needed the "Grammar Book" to pass college French - LOL!!!!)

And, our weekly warm fuzzy is our Read-Aloud time. (All the kids - 15, 12 and 4 - listen while I read.) We are currently reading Watership Down and loving it!

It was a good week and since I watched the new Masterpiece Classics Emma last week I will just say, "Ah! ma'am, but there may be a difficulty. Pardon me--but you will be limited as to number--only three at once." (and I assure you they are very dull indeed)

1. found a between jobs painter who painted my whole downstairs for a very reasonable price - it is so clean and fresh after 15 years of kids

2. my youngest ds just took a reading test and improved his scores dramatically over last time - he was so excited and I am so proud of him

3. I am about to leave to help my eldest dd pick out a wedding dress!

!. Reading aloud to my ten year old cuddled-up next to me. After 2 chapters, he says, "Six more chapters, please?"

2. Watching my 3 boys ages, 16, 14, and 10, playing with matchbox cars and the Brio trainset, despite the difference in ages. I love that they are each others' best pals.

3. Watching my 16 year-old son and 17 year-old daughter country western 2-stepping for fun.

4. Watching "Emma" with my daughter.

Okay, let's see if I can do this.

I survived what may be my last high school swim meet at the regional level. I'm getting ready to go soak in a hot tub and contemplating the state meet next weekend (maybe my husband will go one day in my place)....

My older son's team took second place at regionals, overall. He will be swimming at least a couple of relay events at state. He finished top 10 in a couple of individual events, too. And we got home today to find a couple more merit scholarship offers in the mail (Thank You, Lord).... Why is this good? Because I recall clearly when I used to pray that my very non-athletic, non-competitive son would just finish a race and not dq or come in dead last....

My younger son has been managing his temperament this winter very well. Winter can be a grumpy time for him, so I am well pleased that we're getting through it so well. He's working well in an algebra class he's doing and is going to go to Teen Pact for the first time this year in spring. He's growing up (where do the years go?)....