Menu

All DC Area post offices are closed!!!

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1882532

This is unbelievable to me. My husband has been delivering mail since 1985 and this is the first time he has ever gotten a phone call telling him not to come to work because of snow. There were record breaking snows in 1987 and 1996 and he still had to find a way to get to work and they still expected him to at least try to deliver the mail. I'm in shock!!!

I am glad he does not have to go though. The postal vehicles do not have 4wd and since the snow continues to fall I can just imagine there would have been numerous accidents. For once the post office has decided to put safety first. Wow.

I was sort of wondering about mail delivery today ... Personally, I'd rather our postal workers safe and sound on a day like this - won't hurt to have a day skipped here and there (it's our second already - we didn't get mail the last big storm either). And our street is not plowed ... how would they even get up here??? And we're right in DC proper - not in rural land.

So, it happens elsewhere too? This winter we have averaged at least one day/week without mail delivery. Today is one of those days.

I actually think our mail system shouldn't deliver mail 6 days/week. They could save a ton of money and getting mail 4 or 5 times per week should work just fine for everyone. It's working for us. :001_smile:

I would have been shocked if they sent postmen out - we are working now to plow to our back field for the animals - and the huge tractor is having issues.... let alone a basic car!! As much as I want my mail (I ordered stuff - LOL) I don't want anyone hurt so I can get it!!