Menu

Update on dd and ps…

First I just want to say thank you all very much for your kind, honest, and encouraging words. I really needed to see and “hear†a lot of that, both for keeping her in school and bringing her home. Everyone else’s opinions and insights really helped me process and work through a lot of what I was feeling.

Effective Monday she will be back home again. Her dad and I are on the same page for the most part and although he still has some reservations about it, he will not express any of that to her because they are just his own personal things he needs to deal with-as in our kids are not us and we cannot project what we would have wished we could do on them.

Her and I went to Starbucks and had a nice long talk about the exact reasons she wants to come home and she made some very valid points. The funny thing was, they were all the same reasons why we homeschooled in the first place. Go figure...

Also, because her school was on the block system (she earned 1 full years worth of credit in a semester), and the new term just started 2 weeks ago she will not be losing any credits. We are going to continue with her math and history and switch her art and technology classes to biology and creative writing. Since she has decided that going to a cc and then transferring to a university would be a better route for her, it’s really loosened up a lot of requirements for us (if you are in CA, I am talking about the a-g requirements) and we can make the choices about which curriculum will work best for her. So we will be using Oak Meadow for everything except the math which will be Saxon Geometry.

As far as softball goes, somewhere along the line her confidence was really damaged. That makes me very sad, but at this point the only thing I can do is help her make decisions on how to fix it. She is going to get a coach to help with batting and will most likely play for a less competitive team in the spring. The thing is, she is a very skilled player, but she lacks some of the competitive experience that most girls her age have. The good news is that, again, because she isn’t going to 4 year right away, there isn’t so much pressure anymore. She can play because she wants to and enjoys it and not because she has to be good to impress the scouts.

She understands that there is no going back to ps. We talked about that before she even went back in August. I had told her that she was always welcome to come home (I didn’t think she’d want to), but if she did that was it. No flip -flopping.

Now that she’s home though, I’m forced to think about graduating her and the possibility having her be dual enrolled at a CC (which she is just not ready for) and maybe even taking a gap year. But that’s a post for another time…

So again, thanks everyone. That’s why I love this board.

:grouphug: